In 2012 a strange thing came over the people of these fair isles – for a time people were proud to be British and united in a warm, fuzzy patriotic glow. In the main of course this was thanks to the efforts of Team GB, our athletes who performed so heroically in the Olympics and Paralympics but it also gave us an opportunity to look around and appreciate what we have (rather than moaning about the weather, which was admittedly disappointing).
Our pals over at We Heart took the chance to celebrate British art and design brilliance in Create GB, an ongoing project highlighting more than 80 talented souls and their cultural contributions. There was a host of names we know – like Kate Moross, Studio Weave, Margot Bowman, Paul Layzell, Kyle Bean and Son Emirali – plus a host of names we’d not come across before and they’ve all been brought together in a really nice book designed by Studio SB.
As We Heart founder James Davidson writes in the book’s foreword, British creativity is “brave, assured… eclectic, fearless” and he notes: “We’re not famed for a house style (as the Scanidnavians, Dutch and Italians are); rather we’re famed for reappropriation, reinvention and taking both convention and conformity outside for a quick word.”
The book reflects that idea neatly giving the work room to breathe and the interviews with the creatives are printed in a daring pink type on grey stock in the middle. Tantalisingly it’s billed as “Volume 1” meaning hopefully we can expect to see this project develop over coming months and years. We heart indeed.
- Dressed in Black: the resolute book covers of the Spektrum series
- Dima Shriyeav’s textured poster designs incorporate hand-drawn and digital elements
- Hai-Hsin Huang’s detailed and delicate illustrations present “the lightness of being”
- Laurent Eisler draws playful figures in “precariously balanced compositions”
- Small Gods magazine explores “anomalies of the drone”
- Adam Wells animates Love and Radio’s Dan Deacon interview through obtuse vignettes
- Fashion photographer Miles Aldridge shoots the cast of Game of Thrones for Time Magazine
- The Netherlands’ royal crest changes gender for national women’s football team kit by Nike
- Peek inside erotic magazine Odiseo’s very NSFW tenth issue
- Rick and Morty’s Exquisite Corpse trailer features 22 animators including Simon Landrein and Bendik Kaltenborn
- Design director, Gail Bichler, on The New York Times Magazine typography exhibition
- Mark Shaw captures the glamour of haute couture runways from the 1950s