In 2012 a strange thing came over the people of these fair isles – for a time people were proud to be British and united in a warm, fuzzy patriotic glow. In the main of course this was thanks to the efforts of Team GB, our athletes who performed so heroically in the Olympics and Paralympics but it also gave us an opportunity to look around and appreciate what we have (rather than moaning about the weather, which was admittedly disappointing).
Our pals over at We Heart took the chance to celebrate British art and design brilliance in Create GB, an ongoing project highlighting more than 80 talented souls and their cultural contributions. There was a host of names we know – like Kate Moross, Studio Weave, Margot Bowman, Paul Layzell, Kyle Bean and Son Emirali – plus a host of names we’d not come across before and they’ve all been brought together in a really nice book designed by Studio SB.
As We Heart founder James Davidson writes in the book’s foreword, British creativity is “brave, assured… eclectic, fearless” and he notes: “We’re not famed for a house style (as the Scanidnavians, Dutch and Italians are); rather we’re famed for reappropriation, reinvention and taking both convention and conformity outside for a quick word.”
The book reflects that idea neatly giving the work room to breathe and the interviews with the creatives are printed in a daring pink type on grey stock in the middle. Tantalisingly it’s billed as “Volume 1” meaning hopefully we can expect to see this project develop over coming months and years. We heart indeed.
- Five projects from Kickstarter's Make100 initiative which caught our eye
- Designer Ted Hyunak Yoon creates a visual analysis of dictators’ statues in history
- Best of the Web: Trump inauguration protest special
- We go behind the scenes of Bonobo’s trippy No Reason video with director Oscar Hudson
- Doppelglanders: 3D animator Julian Glander interviews his name twin
- The witchy dreamscapes of illustrator Maren Karlson
- Wolff Olins and zigbee launch the “first open-source brand for the Internet of Things”
- Graphic Design Festival Paris reveals 19 sport-inspired posters by Hort, Julia, Spassky Fischer and more
- FKA twigs teams up with 17 year old photographer David Uzochukwu for new Nike campaign
- Too Fast To Think: why switching off unlocks creativity
- Brian Finke captures the glitz and glamour of the Ms. Senior America beauty pageant