Graphic design agencies have different specialities, and Finnish agency Werklig is no different. The Helsinki-based studio are the absolute masters when it comes to taking briefs that appear to leave little room for manoeuvre and creating something eye-catching and engaging. Put another way, they make boring stuff look brilliant. Take this work for the 2014 European Registrars Conference. You know the European Registrars Conference! It’s pretty much the continent’s most “important forum for information, discussion and networking among museum professionals.”
Anyway Werklig were commissioned way back in 2012 to provide a “a flexible, functional and distinguishable identity” for the event as it rolled into Helsinki, and they did an absolutely smashing job as you can see.
“For the main graphics we created a living identity of lines that were always circling, overlapping and moving in an unpredictable way,” they say. “The lines represented the registrars’ work: moving art and goods from A to B. These lines were used as a static elements (always different from application to another) as well as in animations during the conference.”
The identity works superbly across every conceivable kind of conference collateral; posters, flags, animated stings, delegate badges, programmes, display screens and signage. A really nice extra touch is the customised Verdana typeface, into which they spliced letterforms from the Lyno font.
It’s no fluke either; look through the rest of their portfolio to see that whatever you throw at this talented gang they can turn it into graphic design gold.
- Eloïse Rossetti’s narrative and research-driven graphic design
- Illustrator Cécile Dormeau captures the humorous nuances of adult life
- Photographer Joshua Gordon's “loose diary” of work (NSFW)
- Five projects from Kickstarter's Make100 initiative which caught our eye
- Designer Ted Hyunak Yoon creates a visual analysis of dictators’ statues in history
- Best of the Web: Trump inauguration protest special
- Wolff Olins and zigbee launch the “first open-source brand for the Internet of Things”
- Graphic Design Festival Paris reveals 19 sport-inspired posters by Hort, Julia, Spassky Fischer and more
- FKA twigs teams up with 17 year old photographer David Uzochukwu for new Nike campaign
- Too Fast To Think: why switching off unlocks creativity
- Brian Finke captures the glitz and glamour of the Ms. Senior America beauty pageant