We’ve all had a fondness for a cane furniture set at some point in our lives, so we already know the wonders nature and it’s plants can provide us. Challenging the extent to which it can be used though is designer Werner Aisslinger whose newest concept project, Chair Farm, sees him actually growing furniture.
Showing in Milan this week inside a greenhouse at Ventura Lambrate, Chair Farm takes the form of a plant housed in a metal chair mould. Trained to grow in that shape, once it’s reached maturity the chair plant is released as a freestanding structure. The idea is to grow and harvest locally to avoid exporting globally and to shy away from production line mentality by emphasising the organic.
Aisslinger is no stranger to championing new approaches to green product design, as throughout his work he’s experimented with unlikely materials and sustainable sources. Last year he presented the Hemp Chair, an eco-friendly monobloc chair created entirely from binded hemp and kenaf compressed by strong heat and mechanical pressure. Lightweight and cardboard-like in texture it’s contrasted by the chair’s durability and resilience much like the Chair Farm with it’s bare, skeletal appearance but rigid composition.
- Back once again, it's Best of the Web!
- Photographers Kelia Anne MacCluskey and Luca Venter explore the limits of reality
- Gabriella Boyd’s paintings capture fleeting moments of intimacy
- Friday Mixtape: Because Music's Jane Third creates a lo-fi electronic mix
- Magic Party Place: CJ Clarke photographs Basildon, Essex over ten years
- Diane Fox distorts the “illusion of the diorama” with beguiling images of museum exhibits
- Photographer Trent Davis Bailey documents rural American community The North Fork
- Mr Bingo’s Valentine’s cards for single people
- Leipzig-based graphic designer Anja Kaiser takes us through her portfolio
- Why creative education for advertising is stuck in the dark ages
- Japanese graphic designer Ryu Mieno creates type-heavy works fizzing with energy
- Graphic artist Patrick Thomas’ found poster collages