We’ve all had a fondness for a cane furniture set at some point in our lives, so we already know the wonders nature and it’s plants can provide us. Challenging the extent to which it can be used though is designer Werner Aisslinger whose newest concept project, Chair Farm, sees him actually growing furniture.
Showing in Milan this week inside a greenhouse at Ventura Lambrate, Chair Farm takes the form of a plant housed in a metal chair mould. Trained to grow in that shape, once it’s reached maturity the chair plant is released as a freestanding structure. The idea is to grow and harvest locally to avoid exporting globally and to shy away from production line mentality by emphasising the organic.
Aisslinger is no stranger to championing new approaches to green product design, as throughout his work he’s experimented with unlikely materials and sustainable sources. Last year he presented the Hemp Chair, an eco-friendly monobloc chair created entirely from binded hemp and kenaf compressed by strong heat and mechanical pressure. Lightweight and cardboard-like in texture it’s contrasted by the chair’s durability and resilience much like the Chair Farm with it’s bare, skeletal appearance but rigid composition.
- Best of the Web: a few of our favourite things we've spotted on the internet this week
- Tom Phillips' magnum opus turned a Victorian novel into a work of art spanning 50 years
- Matisse-inspired posters for Serbian Youth Day from designer Monika Lang
- Raphael Schoen's cheerfully chaotic posters for a Swiss youth club
- Illustrators including Sam Taylor and Charlotte Mei's tributes to NWA's Straight Outta Compton
- The slides and sleep pods of LA's Silicon Beach startup scene captured by Lauren Greenfield
- A mind full of filthy ideas and creative brilliance: we visit Malika Favre
- The bizarre, twilight world of Berlin-based photographer Maxime Ballesteros
- Wieden + Kennedy Amsterdam and Colophon create typeface that works with the Earth's tilt
- The Anonymous Sex Journal is back, and this issue is all about wanking
- The homeless Dirty Kids of America and their "rainbow party" explored in new film
- 12-year-old accidentally punches a hole $1.5 million painting