We’ve all had a fondness for a cane furniture set at some point in our lives, so we already know the wonders nature and it’s plants can provide us. Challenging the extent to which it can be used though is designer Werner Aisslinger whose newest concept project, Chair Farm, sees him actually growing furniture.
Showing in Milan this week inside a greenhouse at Ventura Lambrate, Chair Farm takes the form of a plant housed in a metal chair mould. Trained to grow in that shape, once it’s reached maturity the chair plant is released as a freestanding structure. The idea is to grow and harvest locally to avoid exporting globally and to shy away from production line mentality by emphasising the organic.
Aisslinger is no stranger to championing new approaches to green product design, as throughout his work he’s experimented with unlikely materials and sustainable sources. Last year he presented the Hemp Chair, an eco-friendly monobloc chair created entirely from binded hemp and kenaf compressed by strong heat and mechanical pressure. Lightweight and cardboard-like in texture it’s contrasted by the chair’s durability and resilience much like the Chair Farm with it’s bare, skeletal appearance but rigid composition.
- Enter your work for the chance to be an It’s Nice That Graduate of 2016!
- Kyle Weeks’ photos portray the traditional and contemporary identity of the Himba people
- Ace & Tate commissions Hanna Putz to launch its Creative Fund
- Smart geometry-led identity for east London venue Brilliant Corners by Studio Remote
- Superb designs by Bureau Mirko Borsche for Tush magazine
- Artist Mona Hatoum electrifies the senses in her first retrospective at the Tate Modern
- Don't Hug Me I'm Scared - an exclusive interview with Duck, Red Guy and Yellow Guy
- Yoshinori Mizutani captures the colourful, rain soaked commuters of Tokyo
- Poem Baker photographs the Jûngølā drag clowns of London’s Deptford
- Stack founder Steven Watson shares five of his top magazines
- Photography: New show at LCC shows young travelling communities of the 90s
- Hilarious and charming new Maynards Bassetts' Liquorice Allsorts ad by Jack Sachs