I fear I’ve referenced this before, but one of my Desert Island Discs would almost certainly be Baz Lurhmann’s strange spoken-word track Everybody’s Free To Wear Sunscreen. I like it for many reasons, not least the opening phrase “Ladies and gentlemen of the class of ’99” which to a Midlands teenager felt exotic and American and important for ways I couldn’t really define.
So excuse me if I go a bit Lurhmann on you and introduce the Creative Class of 2014, as profiled in this ace new video series created by our pals over at WeTransfer. The short interviews with Damon Albarn, Stefan Sagmeister, Marc Hare, Tom Dixon and Fred Deakin combine those characteristics so frustratingly rare; beautifully-shot films featuring people who genuinely have something interesting to say.
WeTransfer co-founder Nalden says: “This series of interviews with inspirational people is part of a new norm in creative culture. Many of today’s most influential creative people – musicians, designers or scientists are cleverly folding technology into the creative process. They’re finding new ways to create, and then share original ideas. And they’re coming up with some amazing things as a result.”
We encourage you to watch as many videos as you can, but also head over to the website to appreciate the way they’re embedded in its stylish design.
- Best of the Web: a few of our favourite things we've spotted on the internet this week
- Tom Phillips' magnum opus turned a Victorian novel into a work of art spanning 50 years
- Matisse-inspired posters for Serbian Youth Day from designer Monika Lang
- Raphael Schoen's cheerfully chaotic posters for a Swiss youth club
- Illustrators including Sam Taylor and Charlotte Mei's tributes to NWA's Straight Outta Compton
- The slides and sleep pods of LA's Silicon Beach startup scene captured by Lauren Greenfield
- A mind full of filthy ideas and creative brilliance: we visit Malika Favre
- The bizarre, twilight world of Berlin-based photographer Maxime Ballesteros
- Wieden + Kennedy Amsterdam and Colophon create typeface that works with the Earth's tilt
- The Anonymous Sex Journal is back, and this issue is all about wanking
- The homeless Dirty Kids of America and their "rainbow party" explored in new film
- 12-year-old accidentally punches a hole $1.5 million painting