I fear I’ve referenced this before, but one of my Desert Island Discs would almost certainly be Baz Lurhmann’s strange spoken-word track Everybody’s Free To Wear Sunscreen. I like it for many reasons, not least the opening phrase “Ladies and gentlemen of the class of ’99” which to a Midlands teenager felt exotic and American and important for ways I couldn’t really define.
So excuse me if I go a bit Lurhmann on you and introduce the Creative Class of 2014, as profiled in this ace new video series created by our pals over at WeTransfer. The short interviews with Damon Albarn, Stefan Sagmeister, Marc Hare, Tom Dixon and Fred Deakin combine those characteristics so frustratingly rare; beautifully-shot films featuring people who genuinely have something interesting to say.
WeTransfer co-founder Nalden says: “This series of interviews with inspirational people is part of a new norm in creative culture. Many of today’s most influential creative people – musicians, designers or scientists are cleverly folding technology into the creative process. They’re finding new ways to create, and then share original ideas. And they’re coming up with some amazing things as a result.”
We encourage you to watch as many videos as you can, but also head over to the website to appreciate the way they’re embedded in its stylish design.
- Roberta Sant’Anna takes her camera inside a weird and wonderful Brazilian water park
- “Work hard and be nice to people”: what we learned at Nicer Tuesdays March
- “Dance exists when we run out of things to say”: choreographer Holly Blakey on her life and practice
- From admirer to employee: The New York Times Magazine designer Ben Grandgenett
- Amina Bouajila’s illustrations flit between reality and limbo in colourful hues
- Rufus Newell uses curves and scribbles to depict Greek gods and heroes
- Petition launched against winner of Foam Paul Huf photography award for “stereotyping and sexism”
- Exclusive: rediscover graphics from Fiorucci’s archival 1984 Panini collaboration
- Kirsten Lepore’s creepy clay character is oddly soothing in this brilliant animation
- Me & EU project will send creative postcards across Europe on trigger date of Article 50
- Phaidon book gathers together 500 of the most iconic graphic designs of all time
- Atelier Brenda: the alter ego of three female designers you need to get to know