I fear I’ve referenced this before, but one of my Desert Island Discs would almost certainly be Baz Lurhmann’s strange spoken-word track Everybody’s Free To Wear Sunscreen. I like it for many reasons, not least the opening phrase “Ladies and gentlemen of the class of ’99” which to a Midlands teenager felt exotic and American and important for ways I couldn’t really define.
So excuse me if I go a bit Lurhmann on you and introduce the Creative Class of 2014, as profiled in this ace new video series created by our pals over at WeTransfer. The short interviews with Damon Albarn, Stefan Sagmeister, Marc Hare, Tom Dixon and Fred Deakin combine those characteristics so frustratingly rare; beautifully-shot films featuring people who genuinely have something interesting to say.
WeTransfer co-founder Nalden says: “This series of interviews with inspirational people is part of a new norm in creative culture. Many of today’s most influential creative people – musicians, designers or scientists are cleverly folding technology into the creative process. They’re finding new ways to create, and then share original ideas. And they’re coming up with some amazing things as a result.”
We encourage you to watch as many videos as you can, but also head over to the website to appreciate the way they’re embedded in its stylish design.
- Five projects from Kickstarter's Make100 initiative which caught our eye
- Designer Ted Hyunak Yoon creates a visual analysis of dictators’ statues in history
- Best of the Web: Trump inauguration protest special
- We go behind the scenes of Bonobo’s trippy No Reason video with director Oscar Hudson
- Doppelglanders: 3D animator Julian Glander interviews his name twin
- The witchy dreamscapes of illustrator Maren Karlson
- Wolff Olins and zigbee launch the “first open-source brand for the Internet of Things”
- Graphic Design Festival Paris reveals 19 sport-inspired posters by Hort, Julia, Spassky Fischer and more
- FKA twigs teams up with 17 year old photographer David Uzochukwu for new Nike campaign
- Too Fast To Think: why switching off unlocks creativity
- Brian Finke captures the glitz and glamour of the Ms. Senior America beauty pageant