Each day as Ali walks to work he passes a cafe where photographer Zoe Spawton works. One day, noticing how he wore consistently spectacular outfit, Zoe began photographing him and blogging about his sartorial choices. Not sneering or patronising, this blog is quite simply celebrating an elderly man full of character who does not just take genuine pride in his clothes, but has a true eye for style.
One of the best things about this unfolding story is that Zoe and Ali are now great friends. One of the images is taken when she was on a trip with him to pick apples with his boss and boss’s daughter, and the most recent is a very happy shot of him and her together just after they saw an article on her blog in a Turkish newspaper. Pass the tissues please, this is too much.
- Boot Boyz Biz: promoting community, not commodity
- Waving goodbye to July with our weekly Best of the Web
- The classical and the crude combine to represent the multiple facets of The Arab City
- Parquet Courts’ Andrew Savage on the interchanging influence of art and music
- Thee Drinkers: New exhibition conveys the joys and despair of having a few too many
- August Diary: where to go and what to see
- Benedict Redgrove’s beautifully hypnotic film about how a tennis ball is created
- Tommy Cash subverts the tropes of rap videos with a fleshy celebration of the human body (NSFW)
- Ian Davis’ picturesque paintings of bureaucratic dystopia
- Is it ever OK to work for free?
- Pentagram unveils refresh of Mastercard’s brand mark and identity
- Peter Saville and Tate Design Studio create beer can artwork for Switch House pale ale