Trucks are great, but they can be awfully clunky and ungraceful. If only someone were to completely alter their structure and make them delicate works of art… Oh wait, Belgian artist Wim Delvoye has done just that and completely blown my mind in the process.
Essentially, he’s built scale models of trucks but using the architecture and aesthetic qualities of cathedrals and other Gothic buildings. I never realised the two would marry so well, but they really do, creating a huge contrast between the intricate craftsmanship of Gothic architecture and the machine-based, contemporary bulk of these vehicles. Created by laser-cutting stainless steel, it’s astounding the level of detail in these models. As if this wasn’t enough, these models are actually based on large-scale versions of these structures which are equally amazing but due to the fragile nature of the structures, are still being maintained.
Wim’s body of work is definitely worth checking out some more as he has a cavalcade of inventive projects under his creative belt – all continuing to challenge our perceptions of things. His website, too, is one of the coolest I’ve seen as he lays it out like a minuature town. Playful, clever and skilled, Wim reminds us art should be something to have fun with.
- Iris Erlings’ delicate drawings are inspired by the works of modernist sculptors
- Node Berlin Oslo talks through its redesign of Haus der Kulturen der Welt
- A closer look at five creatives speaking at Design Indaba 2017
- Anxiety, speed and rave flyers: artist Mark Leckey on his iconic video "Fiorucci Made Me Hardcore"
- We speak to Lovetrue director Alma Har’el about her surrealist short film for The Fifth Sense
- Adventures in Typography: Spin’s new book about its creative process
- UN Women Egypt releases intricately illustrated print ads to highlight gender divide at work
- Chinese photographer Ren Hang has died aged 29
- Designer Lennart Van den Bossche’s typographic work combines "logic and beauty"
- Photographer Zuza Krajewska's fragile portraits of Polish young offenders
- Miffy creator, author and illustrator Dick Bruna dies aged 89
- Photographers Kelia Anne MacCluskey and Luca Venter explore the limits of reality