How topical! Wimbledon is with us once more and in spite of whether the mercurial Gods will rain down their displeasure onto us or not, tennis will played.
Celebrating this year’s competition, students from Kingston University were invited to submit unique visions of the sporting empire fuelled by champagne, strawberries and curious fashions for an official poster design. From this veritable trove of artistic interpretations, the All England Club and the designers Hat-Trick have selected 12 for 2012.
From James Jessiman’s brilliant frame-by-frame ball as it hits the court at high velocity to the sporting moment of mutual respect (willing or not) displayed at the end of each match, as in Nicky Inchenko’s painting, the posters are a varied and personal lot. From the official dozen we have a selected a few of our absolute favourites, and what a set they are (bear with me), we might even go so far as say that we love them. Please look at the posters before you leave… Advantage Kingston (sorry.)
Poster order: Top row, left to right: James Jessiman, Stephen Messham & Signe Emma, Lorna Scobie, India Harvey. Second row, left to right: Bradley Allen, Danielle Watt, Simeng Zhao, Gemma Green Hope. Third row, left to right: Nicky Inchenko, Chengxuan Wu, Joseph Vass, Hannah Cullen.
- Roberta Sant’Anna takes her camera inside a weird and wonderful Brazilian water park
- “Work hard and be nice to people”: what we learned at Nicer Tuesdays March
- “Dance exists when we run out of things to say”: choreographer Holly Blakey on her life and practice
- From admirer to employee: The New York Times Magazine designer Ben Grandgenett
- Amina Bouajila’s illustrations flit between reality and limbo in colourful hues
- Rufus Newell uses curves and scribbles to depict Greek gods and heroes
- Petition launched against winner of Foam Paul Huf photography award for “stereotyping and sexism”
- Exclusive: rediscover graphics from Fiorucci’s archival 1984 Panini collaboration
- Kirsten Lepore’s creepy clay character is oddly soothing in this brilliant animation
- Me & EU project will send creative postcards across Europe on trigger date of Article 50
- Phaidon book gathers together 500 of the most iconic graphic designs of all time
- Atelier Brenda: the alter ego of three female designers you need to get to know