The biggest problem with opera is accessibility. Visiting the opera is an exclusive event in your social calendar for which you’ll need to iron your whitest shirt, press your tuxedo or don the most spectacular dress you can lay your hands on. You’ll also need to set aside some budget for champagne; opera doesn’t happen without champagne. Opera’s like the wealthy, stuck-up cousin of musicals, or at least that seems to be the perception. In actual fact it’s as gritty, filthy and exciting as your favourite soap or drama, spanning the whole range of human emotions and dealing with a myriad gripping story lines.
Keen to emphasise the passionate and expressive nature of its productions the Welsh National Opera have approached Hat Trick Design to brand their 2013/14 season in the most visually arresting way they know how. Taking a newly-commissioned Howard Hodgkin painting as a starting point the identity utilises swift, purposeful brusk-strokes in a rich colour palette to bring WNO to life. These marks appear throughout the identity, swathed across the season programme and emblazoned on the company’s own logotype.
Whether this vibrant new look will drive more people to the opera remains to be seen, but as far as communicating the raw energy of a large-scale musical performance goes, we think Hat Trick have done a tremendous job.
- Best of the Web: a few of our favourite things we've spotted on the internet this week
- Tom Phillips' magnum opus turned a Victorian novel into a work of art spanning 50 years
- Matisse-inspired posters for Serbian Youth Day from designer Monika Lang
- Raphael Schoen's cheerfully chaotic posters for a Swiss youth club
- Illustrators including Sam Taylor and Charlotte Mei's tributes to NWA's Straight Outta Compton
- The slides and sleep pods of LA's Silicon Beach startup scene captured by Lauren Greenfield
- A mind full of filthy ideas and creative brilliance: we visit Malika Favre
- The bizarre, twilight world of Berlin-based photographer Maxime Ballesteros
- Wieden + Kennedy Amsterdam and Colophon create typeface that works with the Earth's tilt
- The Anonymous Sex Journal is back, and this issue is all about wanking
- The homeless Dirty Kids of America and their "rainbow party" explored in new film
- 12-year-old accidentally punches a hole $1.5 million painting