Here’s a portfolio of consistently strong graphic design, with thoughtfully measured information that doesn’t clutter or clump the poster layout or billboard or app or however its designer applies it. It’s is nice then that Yerina Cha, the individual responsible, studied fine art before design – it suggests that her experience with conceptual content means that there is that much more emphasis on the aesthetic experience of data, or typographic message.
Take, for example, the Another Singularity design for Anthony Gormley’s exhibition at the Hammer Museum; working across all of the shows collateral from billboards to books, Yerina’s design takes into consideration the nature of Gormley’s work, which “explores the relation of the human body to space at large”, and has converted it into her own graphic, manipulatable vernacular that could be used dynamically across the board – including an exhibition app so that the public might interact with it too.
The appeal of the design is in its carefully reduced aesthetic that belies some series layout skills and an equally deft handling of interesting cultural content on one hand and something like DIY product branding on the other.
- Back so soon? It's Best of the Web!
- The poised collages of New Contemporaries artist Katja Angeli
- True Print: the work of Swiss designer Dafi Kühne catalogued in fantastic new monograph
- The compositional eye of photographer Petr Pawlowski
- French designer Paul Bouigue makes a colourful fanzine about racket sports
- Anthony Burrill designs A-OK! watch in collaboration with Mr Jones Watches
- Photographer Carlota Guerrero on collaborating with Solange and getting signed to WeFolk (some NSFW)
- Taiwanese graphic designer Wang Zhi-Hong’s sublime cover designs
- New York-based Blake Lewis’ neat and considered portfolio exudes simplicity
- Erotic journal Odiseo explores laughter and loathing in its ninth volume (NSFW)
- London-based designer Laura Jouan’s well-considered, monochrome portfolio
- Sagmeister & Walsh releases more pins, raising funds for “causes threatened by the Trump administration”