Here’s a portfolio of consistently strong graphic design, with thoughtfully measured information that doesn’t clutter or clump the poster layout or billboard or app or however its designer applies it. It’s is nice then that Yerina Cha, the individual responsible, studied fine art before design – it suggests that her experience with conceptual content means that there is that much more emphasis on the aesthetic experience of data, or typographic message.
Take, for example, the Another Singularity design for Anthony Gormley’s exhibition at the Hammer Museum; working across all of the shows collateral from billboards to books, Yerina’s design takes into consideration the nature of Gormley’s work, which “explores the relation of the human body to space at large”, and has converted it into her own graphic, manipulatable vernacular that could be used dynamically across the board – including an exhibition app so that the public might interact with it too.
The appeal of the design is in its carefully reduced aesthetic that belies some series layout skills and an equally deft handling of interesting cultural content on one hand and something like DIY product branding on the other.
- Kevin Umaña’s abstract paintings portray a musical symphony
- The delicately ornate, but very cheeky sculptures of Liv and Dom
- Nike pattern designer Jeremy Pettis' psychedelic illustration side project
- Illustrator Charlotte Ager’s evocative and multilayered drawings
- Meet London-based illustrator, animator and curator Joey Yu
- Best of the Web, your antidote to Friday the 13th!
- Wolff Olins and zigbee launch the “first open-source brand for the Internet of Things”
- Too Fast To Think: why switching off unlocks creativity
- Graphic Design Festival Paris reveals 19 sport-inspired posters by Hort, Julia, Spassky Fischer and more
- FKA twigs teams up with 17 year old photographer David Uzochukwu for new Nike campaign
- Special Projects on why, sometimes, design is best kept simple
- Brian Finke captures the glitz and glamour of the Ms. Senior America beauty pageant