A new initiative spearheaded by arts organisation Hospital Rooms and South West London and St George’s Mental Health NHS Trust will refurbish psychiatric wards in the UK with the support of Arts Council England. In a bid to improve the conditions in mental health hospitals in England, curator Niamh White and artist Tim A. Shaw are working with the Trust to commission contemporary artists and photographers, including Assemble and Nick Knight, to create work for wards and communal hospital spaces.
The launch project of Hospital Rooms will give participating artists allocated spaces within the secure residential ward for schizophrenic patients at Springfield University Hospital in Tooting, before introducing the initiative to NHS hospitals around the country.
“My colleague Tim A Shaw and I are delighted to be initiating this project with the Trust,” said Niamh White of the Hospital Rooms art project. “Our aim is to enable the creation of artwork that can have a direct and practical social impact. We hope to create a series of rooms within the unit that are engaging, beautiful and completely functional for day to day life.”
In addition to Nick Knight and Assemble, confirmed artists for the Springfield University Hospital’s Phoenix Unit include YBA Gavin Turk and Michael O’Reilly, and landscape architect Joh Bates will redesign the courtyard and outdoor areas.
The project, which also includes a series of workshops, started in March and will be ongoing until December.
- “Noise, exertion and rebellion”: Ari Marcopoulos’ latest exhibition, Machine
- Amsterdam-based photographer Lois Cohen’s "absurd" portraits
- Greg Barth puts world peace to a public vote in satirical film, Epic Fail
- Julia Petrova conveys mystery and darkness in her landscape illustrations
- Deividas Buivydas documents Boston, Lincolnshire, a town known as “the face of Brexit"
- Justin Sloane applies his blunt and nuanced ethos to multidisciplinary design
- Fashion photographer Miles Aldridge shoots the cast of Game of Thrones for Time Magazine
- The Netherlands’ royal crest changes gender for national women’s football team kit by Nike
- Peek inside erotic magazine Odiseo’s very NSFW tenth issue
- Rick and Morty’s Exquisite Corpse trailer features 22 animators including Simon Landrein and Bendik Kaltenborn
- Design director, Gail Bichler, on The New York Times Magazine typography exhibition
- Mark Shaw captures the glamour of haute couture runways from the 1950s