The Roundhouse has announced that Wayne McGregor will curate a new series which will run at the Camden venue for three weeks this summer from 10 to 28 August 2017.
The series, titled +/- Human, will be presented in two parts. During the daytime, audiences will be invited to a “zoological” installation by Random International, the artist collective best known for Rain Room. Working with the building’s iconic architecture, Random International will programme “a mysterious flock of flying spheres” using algorithms and morion senses to react to the space and visitors. The installation will be accompanied by music from Warp Records’ Mark Pritchard and weekly performances from young artists on Friday afternoons.
+/- Human’s second part take the form of a new dance work from Wayne McGregor featuring Company Wayne McGregor performing with dancers from The Royal Ballet, marking the first time that the two companies have performed together since 2001. The performance will form a response to both the Random International installation and a musical score composed for the occasion by Warp around the relationship between human bodies and technological entities.
+/- Human was commissioned for Bloomberg Summer at the Roundhouse, a yearly-occurring series with the intention to introduce new audiences to innovative culture. It is the latest performance-centred installation from the Roundhouse, with previous projects including David Byrne’s Playing the Building, Ron Arad’s Curtain Call, Conrad Shawcross’s Timepiece and Penny Woolcock’s Utopia.
- Peter Judson messes with depth perception in new personal project, Infection
- Friday Mixtape: Robbie Simon's mix for a party at 9am, with no end in sight
- Jack Davison captures the “progress of time” for Noon magazine
- Kyung Me’s detailed series tells the tale of a cat struggling with identity
- Dressed in Black: the resolute book covers of the Spektrum series
- Dima Shriyeav’s textured poster designs incorporate hand-drawn and digital elements
- Fashion photographer Miles Aldridge shoots the cast of Game of Thrones for Time Magazine
- The Netherlands’ royal crest changes gender for national women’s football team kit by Nike
- Peek inside erotic magazine Odiseo’s very NSFW tenth issue
- Rick and Morty’s Exquisite Corpse trailer features 22 animators including Simon Landrein and Bendik Kaltenborn
- Design director, Gail Bichler, on The New York Times Magazine typography exhibition
- Mark Shaw captures the glamour of haute couture runways from the 1950s