Stop motion animation director PES has been enlisted as the animation judge for Elton John’s music video competition, The Cut. The online competition in partnership with YouTube is searching for international creatives to create official music videos for three of Elton’s greatest hits: Tiny Dancer, Bennie and the Jets and Rocket Man.
The American Blinkink director will be judging the videos submitted for Rocket Man, which will be animated. The winner will have full support from YouTube and Pulse Films to turn their idea into the final video, plus $10,000 to help with future projects.
PES is renowned for his stop-motion animation for brands like Honda and citizenM as well as his short films including Fresh Guacamole, which was nominated for an Oscar in 2013. He has over one million subscribers to his YouTube page.
Kurt Hugo Schneider will judge the live action category for Tiny Dancer and Parris Goebel will judge the choregraphy videos for Bennie and the Jets.
“You can animate miniatures, real people, objects, paper… anything you can dream up,” explains PES in a video promoting the competition. “All forms of animation are welcome.” PES will be presenting his shortlist of five films to Elton and a panel including Melina Matsoukas and Barry Jenkins at the end of February.
For more info on how to enter the competition visit The Cut website. The deadline is 23 January.
- Best of the Web is here, and so is the weekend!
- Animator Saiman Chow’s trippy idents for Adult Swim’s Rick and Morty
- Friday Mixtape: Legendary record label, 4AD
- Risograph photograph journal, This is the Same Ocean, returns with a sixth issue
- Illustrator Gizem Vural impresses us with attention-grabbing personal work and commissions
- Colophon Foundry re-releases its road-sign inspired typeface, Montefiore, with new specimen
- Jon Burgerman on his utterly brilliant Instagram experiments
- The photos Juergen Teller took while waiting for Rihanna
- Animator and director James Curran’s amusing 30-day Gifathon project in Tokyo
- "Before I was a graphic designer I had nearly no idea what one was": meet Austin Redman
- Meet Berlin-based studio Büro Bum Bum
- Matthew Raw: the east London artist making clay great again