Director Kris Merc has worked with animation studio Aardman Nathan Love to create a video for a landmark musical collaboration between Kool Keith and MF Doom.
The video for single Super Hero uses Doom’s famous mask as a centrepiece for a multitude of vivid and detailed set designs, interspersed with shots of animated plasticine lips, neon lights, an anonymous monochrome space man, eye tests, and a whole lot more. The video cuts from one scene to the next at a frantic pace, with Doom’s rotating mask ever-present, the visuals becoming hypnotic and kaleidoscopic in the process.
“I wanted to capture something that felt like a visual pop travesty,” says Kris. “I wanted it to visually speak to the legacy of the artists, and Afrofuturism mixed with comic book concepts. I’m a fan of the unseen, and I was obsessed with the idea of using Doom’s mask and the iconography as a centralised point – as if time and space converged around these strange, sometimes magical tableaus and we were witnessing an ascension.”
Kris worked closely with Aardman Nathan Love to design, build and produce the film, using a concoction of animation styles, particularly CG.
- Living for the weekend, it's Best of the Web!
- The photographer archiving South Africa’s black lesbian community
- Kirsten Lepore’s creepy clay character is oddly soothing in this brilliant animation
- Friday Mixtape: Grammy award-winning Tinariwen curates a genre-crossing mix
- Designer Kara Zichittella talks about her typographically-led projects
- “Where’s my community?”: Skin Deep and POC on the need for diversity in the film industry
- A new national identity: Smörgåsbord Studio rebrands Wales
- Graphic design gems: Chicago gang business cards from the 1970s and 80s
- Photographer Dougie Wallace captures the super rich spenders of “Harrodsburg”
- “Romance in a sort-of fantasy world”: photographer Molly Matalon's new work (some NSFW)
- Studio Michael Satter’s sophisticatedly simple graphic design portfolio
- Harry Pearce and Pentagram create a new identity for Pink Floyd’s record label