Quentin Dupieux, aka producer and filmmaker Mr Oizo, has directed the music video for Night Owl by Metronomy. Set in Palm Desert, California, the video displays more of Quentin’s idiosyncratically surreal and dark-humoured directorial style, seen in films like Rubber.
The eerily calm yet macabre film features American screenwriter and director Zoe Cassavetes among a small cast of characters who repeatedly murder Metronomy’s Joseph Mount in various brutal ways. The violence, however, becomes suddenly absurd at the moment of death as he instantly transforms into a comically fake doll. Look out for cameos from an autonomously crawling brain and the Grim Reaper himself.
This is only the second music video Quentin has made for another artist, other than his alter ego Mr Oizo, after Sebastien Tellier’s La Ritournelle. Quentin comments: “I’m not saying I’m a master, but this video is a masterpiece.” Metronomy’s Joseph Mount adds in reply: “Working with Mr Oizo taught me a lot about humility.”
Night Owl is taken from Metronomy’s fifth studio album, Summer 08.
- ManvsMachine on its hugely diverse campaign for Air Max Day
- A treasure trove of goodies, it’s Best of the Web!
- Donald Sanger illustrates a grotesque and humorous version of humanity
- Photographer Joshua Osborne takes a closer look at Havana’s male subcultures
- Friday Mixtape: Ghostpoet’s “drum worship mix” for all your percussive needs
- Yann Kebbi’s chaotic pencil drawings depict various forms of catastrophe
- BBC’s new typeface BBC Reith is designed to improve legibility on screen
- Life through the lens of enchanting photographer Vicki King
- The New York Times Magazine’s new cover is actually a painting
- Illustrator Ram Han’s Alice in Wonderland dreamscape
- Ikea uses ASMR technology in 25-minute, tingle inducing advert
- Designs of the Year 2017 shortlist includes Wolfgang Tillmans’ Remain campaign, the Refugee flag and Me & EU