Quentin Dupieux, aka producer and filmmaker Mr Oizo, has directed the music video for Night Owl by Metronomy. Set in Palm Desert, California, the video displays more of Quentin’s idiosyncratically surreal and dark-humoured directorial style, seen in films like Rubber.
The eerily calm yet macabre film features American screenwriter and director Zoe Cassavetes among a small cast of characters who repeatedly murder Metronomy’s Joseph Mount in various brutal ways. The violence, however, becomes suddenly absurd at the moment of death as he instantly transforms into a comically fake doll. Look out for cameos from an autonomously crawling brain and the Grim Reaper himself.
This is only the second music video Quentin has made for another artist, other than his alter ego Mr Oizo, after Sebastien Tellier’s La Ritournelle. Quentin comments: “I’m not saying I’m a master, but this video is a masterpiece.” Metronomy’s Joseph Mount adds in reply: “Working with Mr Oizo taught me a lot about humility.”
Night Owl is taken from Metronomy’s fifth studio album, Summer 08.
- Best of the Web is here, and so is the weekend!
- Animator Saiman Chow’s trippy idents for Adult Swim’s Rick and Morty
- Friday Mixtape: Legendary record label, 4AD
- Risograph photograph journal, This is the Same Ocean, returns with a sixth issue
- Illustrator Gizem Vural impresses us with attention-grabbing personal work and commissions
- Colophon Foundry re-releases its road-sign inspired typeface, Montefiore, with new specimen
- Jon Burgerman on his utterly brilliant Instagram experiments
- The photos Juergen Teller took while waiting for Rihanna
- Animator and director James Curran’s amusing 30-day Gifathon project in Tokyo
- "Before I was a graphic designer I had nearly no idea what one was": meet Austin Redman
- Meet Berlin-based studio Büro Bum Bum
- Matthew Raw: the east London artist making clay great again