Quentin Dupieux, aka producer and filmmaker Mr Oizo, has directed the music video for Night Owl by Metronomy. Set in Palm Desert, California, the video displays more of Quentin’s idiosyncratically surreal and dark-humoured directorial style, seen in films like Rubber.
The eerily calm yet macabre film features American screenwriter and director Zoe Cassavetes among a small cast of characters who repeatedly murder Metronomy’s Joseph Mount in various brutal ways. The violence, however, becomes suddenly absurd at the moment of death as he instantly transforms into a comically fake doll. Look out for cameos from an autonomously crawling brain and the Grim Reaper himself.
This is only the second music video Quentin has made for another artist, other than his alter ego Mr Oizo, after Sebastien Tellier’s La Ritournelle. Quentin comments: “I’m not saying I’m a master, but this video is a masterpiece.” Metronomy’s Joseph Mount adds in reply: “Working with Mr Oizo taught me a lot about humility.”
Night Owl is taken from Metronomy’s fifth studio album, Summer 08.
- Hippolyte Cupillard’s film follows the dreamlike ascent of a mountain climber
- Meet the speakers: Frances Corner, Yukai Du, Akinola Davies and Simon Landrein
- Illustrator Antoine Cossé talks about the highs and lows of creating comic books
- How Greg Barth and Droga5’s surreal, retro-futuristic ad for MailChimp was made
- Llewellyn Mejia's paintings created in between commercial projects
- Robert Nicol’s brutish but spirited illustrations spanning artistic mediums
- The return of the hovering art director: we asked comic artist Nadine Redlich to peer inside agency life
- Photographer Carlota Guerrero depicts the female body as a canvas for Apartamento (NSFW)
- After Disney, Nickelodeon and Cartoon Network, Miranda Tacchia’s characters found life on Instagram
- How to go freelance: need-to-know advice from creatives who made it
- YouTube releases its first own-brand font, YouTube Sans, inspired by the play button
- Photographer Raymond Rojas captures the “magic” in Disneyland Paris