Nicolas Ménard has directed a series of 18 animations for Facebook to promote its Groups Discover feature, a function allowing users to browse suggested groups in their social circle or city.
In each one, Nicolas uses his knack for dynamic, charming characters, and a playful, energetic style to show the social benefits of being part of a Facebook group. One shows a group of students racing through tubes to join a study group; another shows characters snowballing down a hill to join a party. All of the films use flat illustrations and a simple palette of block colours.
The animator was commissioned by The Factory at Facebook, the company’s in-house creative studio, to design and direct the shorts, aimed at three audiences: new parents, parents of pre-schoolers and college students. Nexus Productions produced the films.
“It was a fun challenge to tell a story with a beginning, middle and end in the shortest amount of time possible,” says Nicolas. “Design wise, we had to find a balance between detail and simplicity so the images are quick to grasp, and animation wise, the right amount of snappiness to deliver those messages efficiently.”
- Living for the weekend, it's Best of the Web!
- The photographer archiving South Africa’s black lesbian community
- Kirsten Lepore’s creepy clay character is oddly soothing in this brilliant animation
- Friday Mixtape: Grammy award-winning Tinariwen curates a genre-crossing mix
- Designer Kara Zichittella talks about her typographically-led projects
- “Where’s my community?”: Skin Deep and POC on the need for diversity in the film industry
- A new national identity: Smörgåsbord Studio rebrands Wales
- Graphic design gems: Chicago gang business cards from the 1970s and 80s
- Photographer Dougie Wallace captures the super rich spenders of “Harrodsburg”
- “Romance in a sort-of fantasy world”: photographer Molly Matalon's new work (some NSFW)
- Studio Michael Satter’s sophisticatedly simple graphic design portfolio
- Harry Pearce and Pentagram create a new identity for Pink Floyd’s record label