Ravi Amaratunga Hitchcock, formerly i-D global executive producer and a commissioner at Channel 4, has launched the first project to come out of his production company Pi Studios. I Was There When House Took Over The World is a two-part documentary series directed by Jake Sumner (Sting and Trudy Styler’s son) charting the birth of house music, available to watch online in the UK on All 4.
The documentary explores the genre from its origins in Chicago through to its takeover of the UK club scene, and features interviews with Nile Rodgers, Marshall Jefferson, Jesse Saunders, Chip E, Steve ‘Silk’ Hurley and Honey Dijon. It was made in association with New York-based production outfit, AllDayEveryday. Media partner Lad Bible will release short excerpts through Instagram Stories.
“The death of disco and the birth of house is such an incredible story that is as relevant to the music culture today as it was then,” says Channel 4’s Thom Gulseven. “It’s been great work with Pi Studios on new ways of telling such an iconic story, from mid-form episodes for All 4, right down to 15 second documentary cut downs that can extend the reach of the project as far as possible."
Pi Studios is part of Amsterdam agency We Are Pi. The series is available to watch now on All 4.
- "The field is stretching itself bigger and bigger" - Jurgen Bey on design education and infinite possibility
- Peter Judson messes with depth perception in new personal project, Infection
- Friday Mixtape: Robbie Simon's mix for a party at 9am, with no end in sight
- Jack Davison captures the “progress of time” for Noon magazine
- Kyung Me’s detailed series tells the tale of a cat struggling with identity
- Dressed in Black: the resolute book covers of the Spektrum series
- Fashion photographer Miles Aldridge shoots the cast of Game of Thrones for Time Magazine
- The Netherlands’ royal crest changes gender for national women’s football team kit by Nike
- Peek inside erotic magazine Odiseo’s very NSFW tenth issue
- Rick and Morty’s Exquisite Corpse trailer features 22 animators including Simon Landrein and Bendik Kaltenborn
- Design director, Gail Bichler, on The New York Times Magazine typography exhibition
- Mark Shaw captures the glamour of haute couture runways from the 1950s