Printworks London, a major new 5,000-capacity, 16-acre experimental arts venue, has been unveiled in Canada Water, London. Located in a the former printing facility for the Metro and Evening Standard newspapers, the venue recently hosted Secret Cinema’s Star Wars and 28 Days Later events and Mulberry’s fashion week show in its vast buildings.
If planning permission is granted by Southwark Council, the venue aims to host events across arts, culture, fashion, music, film, food, dance, and more immersive theatre, as well as an in-house music events series. Events would begin from January 2017.
Printworks comprises six different events spaces over multiple levels and a network of interconnected corridors and rooms. These include two sound-proofed Press Halls, where the main printing processes were carried out, and much of the original industrial details have been preserved.
The venue is operated by The Vibration Group working with LWE and Broadwick Live to deliver a programme of cultural events, as well as providing community rehearsal rooms for local collectives and creative groups of any scale.
It forms part of developer British Land’s regeneration of the Docklands area into a “hub for culture and industry”.
- Kevin Umaña’s abstract paintings portray a musical symphony
- The delicately ornate, but very cheeky sculptures of Liv and Dom
- Nike pattern designer Jeremy Pettis' psychedelic illustration side project
- Illustrator Charlotte Ager’s evocative and multilayered drawings
- Meet London-based illustrator, animator and curator Joey Yu
- Best of the Web, your antidote to Friday the 13th!
- Wolff Olins and zigbee launch the “first open-source brand for the Internet of Things”
- Too Fast To Think: why switching off unlocks creativity
- Graphic Design Festival Paris reveals 19 sport-inspired posters by Hort, Julia, Spassky Fischer and more
- FKA twigs teams up with 17 year old photographer David Uzochukwu for new Nike campaign
- Special Projects on why, sometimes, design is best kept simple
- Brian Finke captures the glitz and glamour of the Ms. Senior America beauty pageant