Before he died, Stanley Kubrick had agreed to direct a video for a track on Unkle’s 1998 album Psyence Fiction. Lonely Souls featuring Richard Ashcroft, was left without a video. Made with the blessing of Kubrick’s estate, The Corridor is that video (trailer shown above), created as the centrepiece of Somerset House’s upcoming exhibition Daydreaming With… Stanley Kubrick.
Directed by Toby Dye, made with Ridley Scott Associates and Black Dog Films, and co-written with 4Creative’s Chris Bovill and John Allison, the film is a multi-aspect installation with disorientating, intense and hypnotic visuals inspired by Kubrick’s themes and stylistic devices. It stars Joanna Lumley and Aiden Gillen within four simultaneous, interweaving narratives on a continuous loop. It was produced by Rebecca Mills and executive producer Katie Dolan.
The film is at the heart of the exhibition curated by Unkle’s James Lavelle and James Putnam, featuring a range of artists, filmmakers and musicians showing works influenced by Kubrick.
“The style of The Corridor is very much influenced by the period in which Psyence Fiction was made,” James Lavelle says. “The film making of the 90s by the likes of Chris Cunningham and Jon Glazer was ultimately very artful, and we wanted to make a return to that less literal visual language.”
Daydreaming With… Stanley Kubrick is on at Somerset House from 6 July — 24 August.
- Hey presto, it's Best of the Web!
- Paris-based Studio Jimbo creates "impact and power" with punchy poster designs
- Minju An's oddly sinister illustrations depict strange characters and floating bread
- Friday Mixtape: Warpaint's Glastonbury picks
- Karifurav Caihua’s weirdly erotic Japanese-inspired illustrations
- High octane Nike China animation gets kids to wear their bandages as a “badge of honour”
- “Evolve or die”: Bloomberg Businessweek creative director Rob Vargas on the magazine’s redesign
- Southbank Centre visual identity redesigned by North, to be a “confident masthead” for the institution
- Photographer Khadija Saye has died in the Grenfell Tower fire, her family confirm
- The Buzzfeed redesign: UK art director Tim Lane talks us through his seven-month overhaul
- Alex Norris’ hilarious three-panelled webcomics are universally appealing
- Fresh Yale grad Franci Virgili applies an academic approach to graphic design