Before he died, Stanley Kubrick had agreed to direct a video for a track on Unkle’s 1998 album Psyence Fiction. Lonely Souls featuring Richard Ashcroft, was left without a video. Made with the blessing of Kubrick’s estate, The Corridor is that video (trailer shown above), created as the centrepiece of Somerset House’s upcoming exhibition Daydreaming With… Stanley Kubrick.
Directed by Toby Dye, made with Ridley Scott Associates and Black Dog Films, and co-written with 4Creative’s Chris Bovill and John Allison, the film is a multi-aspect installation with disorientating, intense and hypnotic visuals inspired by Kubrick’s themes and stylistic devices. It stars Joanna Lumley and Aiden Gillen within four simultaneous, interweaving narratives on a continuous loop. It was produced by Rebecca Mills and executive producer Katie Dolan.
The film is at the heart of the exhibition curated by Unkle’s James Lavelle and James Putnam, featuring a range of artists, filmmakers and musicians showing works influenced by Kubrick.
“The style of The Corridor is very much influenced by the period in which Psyence Fiction was made,” James Lavelle says. “The film making of the 90s by the likes of Chris Cunningham and Jon Glazer was ultimately very artful, and we wanted to make a return to that less literal visual language.”
Daydreaming With… Stanley Kubrick is on at Somerset House from 6 July — 24 August.
- Best of the Web is here, and so is the weekend!
- Animator Saiman Chow’s trippy idents for Adult Swim’s Rick and Morty
- Friday Mixtape: Legendary record label, 4AD
- Risograph photograph journal, This is the Same Ocean, returns with a sixth issue
- Illustrator Gizem Vural impresses us with attention-grabbing personal work and commissions
- Colophon Foundry re-releases its road-sign inspired typeface, Montefiore, with new specimen
- Jon Burgerman on his utterly brilliant Instagram experiments
- The photos Juergen Teller took while waiting for Rihanna
- Animator and director James Curran’s amusing 30-day Gifathon project in Tokyo
- "Before I was a graphic designer I had nearly no idea what one was": meet Austin Redman
- Meet Berlin-based studio Büro Bum Bum
- Matthew Raw: the east London artist making clay great again