Great excitement in the studio this morning as Tom returned from the States with an iPad. An actual, real, working iPad. How about that for an It’s Nice That exclusive to kick the week off.
It’s very early to make a serious assessment of what it’s like but the first impressions are good. Very good. The screen is lovely, very bright with great contrast. It feels light and easy to hold and it’s a nice size at just a bit bigger than A5.
I had a quick look at The Guardian’s website, their new Eyewitness iPad app, some Marvel Comics and the Popular Science mag app made by BERG who we share a studio with. All of them looked, worked and felt great. It’s so intuitive there’s something about it that just feels right.
The Guardian’s Eyewitness app is very simple but makes fantastic use of the device and the content. They take the last 100 pictures from Eyewitness (the great centre spread photo in the main paper) and show them big on that lovely screen. It updates every day. And that’s it, so far.
I’m not a big comics fan but the way the Marvel comics app works is lovely. There are loads of nice touches. For example a few taps on a page and individual frames fill the screen (and look amazing) another few taps takes you to the next frame. That sounds a bit dull written dull, but the smoothness of the action and the richness of the images make a pretty impressive experience.
There you go a very brief look at what I guess is one of the first iPads in the UK.
- Hey presto, it's Best of the Web!
- Paris-based Studio Jimbo creates "impact and power" with punchy poster designs
- Minju An's oddly sinister illustrations depict strange characters and floating bread
- Friday Mixtape: Warpaint's Glastonbury picks
- Karifurav Caihua’s weirdly erotic Japanese-inspired illustrations
- High octane Nike China animation gets kids to wear their bandages as a “badge of honour”
- “Evolve or die”: Bloomberg Businessweek creative director Rob Vargas on the magazine’s redesign
- Southbank Centre visual identity redesigned by North, to be a “confident masthead” for the institution
- Photographer Khadija Saye has died in the Grenfell Tower fire, her family confirm
- The Buzzfeed redesign: UK art director Tim Lane talks us through his seven-month overhaul
- Alex Norris’ hilarious three-panelled webcomics are universally appealing
- Fresh Yale grad Franci Virgili applies an academic approach to graphic design