We’ve extolled the virtues of French studio Akatre before, waxing lyrical about their beyond competent handling of type design and an impressive dedication to the documentation of their work. But there are an intimidating number of strings to the Akatre bow; from luxury graphic design, luxury art installations and luxury (you’ll have noticed a pattern emerging by now I’m sure) photography.
Their most recent shoot for OOB magazine does absolutely nothing to dissuade us from our conviction that these guys are extraordinarily talented, showcasing an acute understanding of texture, colour, composition and just plain old good photography in a series of ten striking images. It’s testament to that talent that these images so readily stand out against a constant stream of naked bodies and bright colours that we’re subjected to each day online. But Akatre just aren’t the kind of guys to produce anything run-of-the-mill.
- Mirka Laura Severa makes snowmen models in fashion shoot for SZ Magazin
- 100 hours with The Beatles: Shimpei Asai's photographs from 1966
- Joe Schlaud's cheeky Kama Sutra illustrations (NSFW)
- Artist Matthew F Fisher paints seascapes and wildlife with vivid precision
- Hayley Louisa Brown on travelling to Memphis as part of Ace & Tate's Creative Fund
- Photographer Roe Ethridge’s images blur the lines between commercial and sentimental
- Photographer Carlota Guerrero on collaborating with Solange and getting signed to WeFolk (some NSFW)
- Taiwanese graphic designer Wang Zhi-Hong’s sublime cover designs
- New York-based Blake Lewis’ neat and considered portfolio exudes simplicity
- Erotic journal Odiseo explores laughter and loathing in its ninth volume (NSFW)
- London-based designer Laura Jouan’s well-considered, monochrome portfolio
- Sagmeister & Walsh releases more pins, raising funds for “causes threatened by the Trump administration”