If you find yourself passing London’s Blackfriars Bridge anytime soon, take a second glance at the house at number 20; artist Alex Chinneck has turned an 18th Century livery upside down. Quite literally. Following on from his incredible From the Knees of my Nose to the Belly of my Toes earlier this year, the artist has created Miners on the Moon as the finale to Merge Festival 2013. Using signage recovered from a reclamation yard he has transformed the building, which was erected in 1780 and originally used as a livery stables housing horses and carriages. Cool, huh?
He explains: “The material and aesthetic decisions within the project celebrate the architectural heritage of Southwark and the timeless charm of its fatigued buildings. by presenting a very familiar architectural scenery and narrative in an inverted way, the audience hopefully re-appreciates the buildings and moments of our daily environments that we allow to slip into our subconscious.”
The result is simultaneously subtle and visually arresting, creating ostensibly the perfect public installation. Alex will also be speaking at our December edition of Nicer Tuesdays, which will focus on our creative highlights of 2013.
- Kyle Weeks’ photos portray the traditional and contemporary identity of the Himba people
- Ace & Tate commissions Hanna Putz to launch its Creative Fund
- Smart geometry-led identity for east London venue Brilliant Corners by Studio Remote
- Superb designs by Bureau Mirko Borsche for Tush magazine
- Artist Mona Hatoum electrifies the senses in her first retrospective at the Tate Modern
- Maya Fuhr's new project adds a slick, 80s-inspired editorial feel to a hospital setting
- Don't Hug Me I'm Scared - an exclusive interview with Duck, Red Guy and Yellow Guy
- Yoshinori Mizutani captures the colourful, rain soaked commuters of Tokyo
- Poem Baker photographs the Jûngølā drag clowns of London’s Deptford
- Stack founder Steven Watson shares five of his top magazines
- Photography: New show at LCC shows young travelling communities of the 90s
- Hilarious and charming new Maynards Bassetts' Liquorice Allsorts ad by Jack Sachs