We are every possible kind of delighted to introduce the 2014 It’s Nice That Annual which is now available to buy. It’s big, it’s blue and it’s back for the third year with more creative work than ever packed into its 300-plus pages.
Once again we’ve hand-picked projects we’ve posted on the site in the past 12 months across graphic design, illustration, photography, art, product and furniture design, advertising, publishing and fashion and explained why in the final reckoning they made the cut as the most exciting, engaging, intriguing or entertaining work from the last year. As in previous years we also profile our 15 brilliant It’s Nice That Graduates and we look back on a selection of the most interesting exhibitions to take place this year, from the Matisse Cut-Outs at Tate Modern to a photographic tribute to the London Underground of yesteryear.
New for 2014 we’ve also rounded up some of our favourite magazine covers of the year – ranging from Pitchfork Review’s illustrated homage to festival culture to a VERY rude Odiseo offering – and we’ve spoken to the people who make doing what we do so much fun – the creatives whose work has defined the past 12 months. The likes of Paul Smith, Jessica Walsh, Matt Willey, Agi & Sam, Simon Hanselmann and Shaz Madani talk us through the dizzying highs and dashed hopes of the past year, plus what they listened to, who they’d thank and which art and design stopped them in their tracks.
And as if that wasn’t enough, each Annual comes with a postcard featuring a piece of art in the book signed by the artist themselves! Designed by Studio Makgill, the Annual is a great creative resource and a printed paean to yet another cracking art and design year.
The It’s Nice That Annual 2014 is supported by G.F Smith and printed on Colorplan Bright White 350gsm, Zen Pure White 150gsm and Heaven 42 135gsm.
- Photographer Damien Maloney on working intuitively and playing with reality
- “Prayer paintings, manga and motivational images”: Gitte Maria Moller's cryptic artworks
- Jad Hussein's tropical catalogue design for Paris exhibition Jamaica, Jamaica
- From Lemon Twigs to Laura Marling: Hollie Fernando’s painterly photography folio
- Hey presto, it's Best of the Web!
- Paris-based Studio Jimbo creates "impact and power" with punchy poster designs
- Alex Norris’ hilarious three-panelled webcomics are universally appealing
- Southbank Centre visual identity redesigned by North, to be a “confident masthead” for the institution
- The Buzzfeed redesign: UK art director Tim Lane talks us through his seven-month overhaul
- Fresh Yale grad Franci Virgili applies an academic approach to graphic design
- Instagram co-founder Mike Krieger on how to stand out
- Leipzig graphic design studio Lamm & Kirch on their shared ethos