I don’t know what the Italian for “Jack of all trades” is – maybe “Giacomo of all trades” if that’s not clumsily xenophobic – but Genoa based studio Artiva Design seem to fit the bill. The “About” section of their website lists more than 30 areas in which they offer their services, from user interface to book design, copywriting to video editing.
But that’s not to suggest for one second that Daniele De Batté and Davide Sossi are spreading themselves too thinly; in fact a quick romp through the pair’s portfolio throws up all manner of interesting work. We’ve chosen to focus on this catalogue for the exhibition at Genoa’s Museum of Contemporary Art in the Villa Croce, which celebrated ten years of architecture, media and art laboratory Plug_in.
The big, bold typographic treatment which runs around the cover and title pages apes the connected nature of Plug_in’s activities and can only be fully appreciated with a little bit of lateral thinking. Its continuation through the numbers that order the content ties together what appears to be pretty disparate material (although as we’ve established my Italian is somewhat limited).
A couple of years ago we were bowled over by Artiva’s exhibition design skills; it appears the duo have lost none of their sparkle.
- Roberta Sant’Anna takes her camera inside a weird and wonderful Brazilian water park
- “Work hard and be nice to people”: what we learned at Nicer Tuesdays March
- “Dance exists when we run out of things to say”: choreographer Holly Blakey on her life and practice
- From admirer to employee: The New York Times Magazine designer Ben Grandgenett
- Amina Bouajila’s illustrations flit between reality and limbo in colourful hues
- Rufus Newell uses curves and scribbles to depict Greek gods and heroes
- Petition launched against winner of Foam Paul Huf photography award for “stereotyping and sexism”
- Exclusive: rediscover graphics from Fiorucci’s archival 1984 Panini collaboration
- Kirsten Lepore’s creepy clay character is oddly soothing in this brilliant animation
- Me & EU project will send creative postcards across Europe on trigger date of Article 50
- Phaidon book gathers together 500 of the most iconic graphic designs of all time
- Atelier Brenda: the alter ego of three female designers you need to get to know