The minimalism in photographer Chan Dick’s series is beautifully quiet. Taken above from a toilet window, the photographer documents the daily happenings at Chai Wan fire station in Hong Kong and the result is a series of serene and thoughtful images.
“One day I was busy in my workshop when I heard a noise coming from the bathroom. Curious, I opened the window and looked down and saw firefighters playing volleyball,” explains Chan. “For the next month, I dedicated myself to observation and bit by bit discovered the routine of this small unusual space.”
Sparse and considered, Chan was “mesmerised by the minimalist arrangement of objects in that little, green patch of land… I saw them train, playing volleyball in the evenings, guide kids around on field trips and the occasional official inspection.”
Like a square stage, tiny figures move in elegant formations with appearances from a toy-sized fire truck and a liquorice-like hose and it’s the scale of everything that makes the series so interesting. “Due to the narrowness of the window, and the top-down angle that I wanted to shoot, I had to hand hold my camera and stick it out of the window pointing down,” explains Chan. This constraint placed upon the photographs creates a wonderful uniformity and show Chan’s patience as a photographer perched and waiting for that perfect moment.
“[The series] is a subtle tribute to our firefighters,” says Chan. “But it’s also about my appreciation for minimalism and the many possibilities it offers and the stories you can find within it with a bit of luck.”
- Tokyo illustrator Okamura Yuta and his endearing brush-and-ink characters
- French illustrator Damien Filliatre's “trashy and cynical” universe
- Graphic Designer Robynne Redgrave profiles prolific Yelp.com reviewer in You Can Change
- Photographer Ina Niehoff's "pure and silent" look at the Moroccan countryside
- The meticulously layered and striped paintings of Guy Yanai
- Design studio Sawdust shares its most-loved books
- Wolff Olins and zigbee launch the “first open-source brand for the Internet of Things”
- Graphic Design Festival Paris reveals 19 sport-inspired posters by Hort, Julia, Spassky Fischer and more
- FKA twigs teams up with 17 year old photographer David Uzochukwu for new Nike campaign
- Too Fast To Think: why switching off unlocks creativity
- Brian Finke captures the glitz and glamour of the Ms. Senior America beauty pageant