Welcome to George’s world. George Fowler is a compulsive hoarder and over the year that she spent photographing him Corinna Kern came to “understand the human nature that lies behind his unusual condition." Looking at these pictures, you can tell that there’s a closeness between the young woman behind the camera and the old man in front of it.
Dressed in his pinstripe suit lounging on his bed, or nonchalantly smoking a cigarette adopting a pose reminiscent of someone seated outside a French cafe, George is incongruous with his surroundings; poised and elegant amongst seeming disorder and decay. Corinna captures the complexity of his situation with respect and a touch of humour, documenting the nuances and particularities of this life. Corinna was selected by LensCulture as one of their 50 Emerging Talents of 2014 and I’m excited to see more of the stories that this photojournalist has to tell.
- Hey presto, it's Best of the Web!
- Paris-based Studio Jimbo creates "impact and power" with punchy poster designs
- Minju An's oddly sinister illustrations depict strange characters and floating bread
- Friday Mixtape: Warpaint's Glastonbury picks
- Karifurav Caihua’s weirdly erotic Japanese-inspired illustrations
- High octane Nike China animation gets kids to wear their bandages as a “badge of honour”
- “Evolve or die”: Bloomberg Businessweek creative director Rob Vargas on the magazine’s redesign
- Southbank Centre visual identity redesigned by North, to be a “confident masthead” for the institution
- Photographer Khadija Saye has died in the Grenfell Tower fire, her family confirm
- The Buzzfeed redesign: UK art director Tim Lane talks us through his seven-month overhaul
- Alex Norris’ hilarious three-panelled webcomics are universally appealing
- Fresh Yale grad Franci Virgili applies an academic approach to graphic design