With a big 50th anniversary bash coming in September (along with the dishing out of the coveted Black Pencils) the D&AD awards took on a slightly different format last night as creatives convened to find out who was going home with a Yellow Pencil.
As with any creative awards ceremony, there will be debate and discussion surrounding who won (and sometimes more vociferously who didn’t win) what, but it’s still arguably the most eagerly-anticipated award scheme in the business.
In the Graphic Design category it was Nippon Design Center’s 100 Graphics of Anatomy Chart and Ogilvy’s posters for LEGO which shared the spoils, JWT Shanghai’s amazing Heaven and Hell poster for Samsonite was a just recipient in the Art Direction section and the Bloomberg Business Week Steve Jobs issue was justly recognised in the Best Newspaper or Magazine Design category.
We were delighted that the Don De Lillo book covers our sister agency INT Works commissioned for Picador took a Best Book Design pencil, along with Marion Deuchars’ amazing Let’s Make Great Art cover (which also triumphed in the illustration category alongside EMI’s A Creature I Don’t Know album).
Nothing in the typography category took home a yellow pencil but it was good to see Heineken’s Star Player take an award for mobile marketing and BarberOsgerby’s Tip Ton Chair honoured in Product Design along with the Nokia N9.
Two of our favourite music videos of the past 12 months, Keith Schofield’s Duck Sauce and CANADA’s Ice Cream for The Battles both lost out, with Megaforce’s Is Tropical for The Greeks, No Brain by Etienne de Crecyby Fleur & Manu and Daniels’ Simple Maths for Manchester Orchestra taking the Yellow Pencils.
And as in all good award ceremonies there was a gong for a talking bear – namely BETC’s wildly popular promo for Canal +.
You can find the full list of nominees on the D&AD website via the link below.
- Bright, beautiful and of-the-moment portraits shot by Jake Michaels in Tijuana
- Cool, contemporary identity for Crown hat-makers by Studio Moross
- LA courtroom illustrations from cases including OJ Simpson and Snoop Dogg celebrated in new monograph
- Ronni Campana's photographic collection of badly repaired cars
- Best of the Web: a few of our favourite things we've spotted on the internet this week
- Tom Phillips' magnum opus turned a Victorian novel into a work of art spanning 50 years
- A mind full of filthy ideas and creative brilliance: we visit Malika Favre
- The bizarre, twilight world of Berlin-based photographer Maxime Ballesteros
- Wieden + Kennedy Amsterdam and Colophon create typeface that works with the Earth's tilt
- The Anonymous Sex Journal is back, and this issue is all about wanking
- 12-year-old accidentally punches a hole $1.5 million painting
- Ely Dagher’s hypnotic and erotic animated vignettes for Model 86’s EP (NSFW)