Arriving at Paradise Row to see the new show by the iconoclastic Eric Yahnker provides a spectacular antidote to the madness of Oxford Street experienced only moments before. Greeted by a sign that reads “We the Peephole,” Eric’s solo UK debut and exhibition of new work boldly critiques the plasticity of pop and the contemporary political landscape: a wonderful relief after walking through a street rife with neon shops like Anne Summers and places that sell plastic fridge magnets of Diana and Robbie Williams.
Eric’s precise pencil drawings and witty, visual puns find the connections and collisions that exist between pop and politics: Putin sheds a tear in Crimea River, and Obama and Miley Cyrus exchange heated glances as Miley sweeps past on her wrecking ball.
The moment when you register a pun is fantastic and it’s impossible to suppress your giggles, but the work also resonates with meaning in an extremely nuanced and thought-provoking way. Eric is an extremely talented artist with a sharp and astute mind, and his large scale satirical commentaries on contemporary America are a joy to see and experience. So next time you find yourself on Oxford Street, Sticks & Drones is definitely worth ditching the shops for.
- Best of the Web: a few of our favourite things we've spotted on the internet this week
- Tom Phillips' magnum opus turned a Victorian novel into a work of art spanning 50 years
- Matisse-inspired posters for Serbian Youth Day from designer Monika Lang
- Raphael Schoen's cheerfully chaotic posters for a Swiss youth club
- Illustrators including Sam Taylor and Charlotte Mei's tributes to NWA's Straight Outta Compton
- The slides and sleep pods of LA's Silicon Beach startup scene captured by Lauren Greenfield
- A mind full of filthy ideas and creative brilliance: we visit Malika Favre
- The bizarre, twilight world of Berlin-based photographer Maxime Ballesteros
- Wieden + Kennedy Amsterdam and Colophon create typeface that works with the Earth's tilt
- The Anonymous Sex Journal is back, and this issue is all about wanking
- The homeless Dirty Kids of America and their "rainbow party" explored in new film
- 12-year-old accidentally punches a hole $1.5 million painting