When we think of vegetarianism, we think of a hearty baked butternut squash perhaps or a freshly tossed salad with tomatoes gleaming in the sun. But in Phuket, Thailand, a Vegetarian Festival occurs during the ninth month of the Chinese lunar year, that’s so extreme and beautiful it puts our Western veggies in a cool, dry place with our potatoes. During the festival, locals of Chinese extraction observe a strict vegan or vegetarian diet for ten days as part of a spiritual and physical cleansing process which is exhibited in a variety of street processions and public rituals.
Fascinated by the idea, self-taught photographer Guillaume Mégevand documented the festival last year and immersed himself in some breathtakingly weird situations. In the series Blood and Firecrackers, one of the rituals captured was the launching of fireworks at each other while simultaneously driving swords and hooks through their own flesh, where rising above the pain was simply part of the process. While the images of weapons being sunk into flesh images are shocking, we’re drawn more to the procession photos – they’re powerful and show the community of Phuket celebrating in a joyful riot with the fireworks providing the only light to their customs. And sometimes it’s just nice to have some unstaged, unique images that give a glimpse into cultural traditions so alien to us.
- Bright, beautiful and of-the-moment portraits shot in Tijuana by Jake Michael
- Cool, contemporary identity for Crown hat-makers by Studio Moross
- LA courtroom illustrations from cases including OJ Simpson and Snoop Dogg in new monograph
- Ronni Campana's photographic collection of badly repaired cars
- Founder and editor-in-chief of Intern Magazine Alec Dudson shares his favourite books
- British Values: a new zine celebrating stories from immigrant communities in the UK
- A mind full of filthy ideas and creative brilliance: we visit Malika Favre
- The bizarre, twilight world of Berlin-based photographer Maxime Ballesteros
- Wieden + Kennedy Amsterdam and Colophon create typeface that works with the Earth's tilt
- The Anonymous Sex Journal is back, and this issue is all about wanking
- 12-year-old accidentally punches a hole $1.5 million painting
- Ely Dagher’s hypnotic and erotic animated vignettes for Model 86’s EP (NSFW)