Here in London, the end of the London Collections: Men means the end of revelling in sartorial male brilliance right? Wrong! Guinness has created a superb short film which features the Sapeurs, a group of people from the Republic of the Congo who embrace stylistic individualism in a truly inspiring way. It’s part of the Guinness Made Of More campaign, which celebrates those who live their lives with real integrity and character.
What makes this more than just an interesting fashion story is that there is a philosophical underpinning to the Sapeurs’ lifestyle along with the charm and flair.
The men who embrace La Sape are part of a heritage that stretches back to their ancestors and that will reach forward to future generations. In their commitment to non-violence and freedom of expression, they embody a way of looking at life from which we could all learn something. This outlook though is brought to life through a philosophy of joie de vivre which shines through in every frame of the film. It’s well worth a few minutes of your time so stop what you’re doing and watch it now!
This article was produced in collaboration with Guinness. Drink responsibly. Visit www.drinkaware.co.uk for the facts. The GUINNESS word and associated logos are trademarks © GUINNESS & Co. 2014.
- Submit Saturdays: eggs, gifs and monochromatic illustration from Illustrator Jocelyn Tsaih
- Boot Boyz Biz: promoting community, not commodity
- Waving goodbye to July with our weekly Best of the Web
- The classical and the crude combine to represent the multiple facets of The Arab City
- Parquet Courts’ Andrew Savage on the interchanging influence of art and music
- Thee Drinkers: New exhibition conveys the joys and despair of having a few too many
- Benedict Redgrove’s beautifully hypnotic film about how a tennis ball is created
- Tommy Cash subverts the tropes of rap videos with a fleshy celebration of the human body (NSFW)
- Ian Davis’ picturesque paintings of bureaucratic dystopia
- Is it ever OK to work for free?
- Pentagram unveils refresh of Mastercard’s brand mark and identity
- Peter Saville and Tate Design Studio create beer can artwork for Switch House pale ale