Here in London, the end of the London Collections: Men means the end of revelling in sartorial male brilliance right? Wrong! Guinness has created a superb short film which features the Sapeurs, a group of people from the Republic of the Congo who embrace stylistic individualism in a truly inspiring way. It’s part of the Guinness Made Of More campaign, which celebrates those who live their lives with real integrity and character.
What makes this more than just an interesting fashion story is that there is a philosophical underpinning to the Sapeurs’ lifestyle along with the charm and flair.
The men who embrace La Sape are part of a heritage that stretches back to their ancestors and that will reach forward to future generations. In their commitment to non-violence and freedom of expression, they embody a way of looking at life from which we could all learn something. This outlook though is brought to life through a philosophy of joie de vivre which shines through in every frame of the film. It’s well worth a few minutes of your time so stop what you’re doing and watch it now!
This article was produced in collaboration with Guinness. Drink responsibly. Visit www.drinkaware.co.uk for the facts. The GUINNESS word and associated logos are trademarks © GUINNESS & Co. 2014.
- Submit Saturdays: photographer and filmmaker Harry Israelson's bright, smart portfolio
- May Diary: where to go and what to see this month
- Crisp and vibrant design work from ECAL graduate Clement Rouzaud
- Portuguese illustrator Tiago Galo’s plump little characters are oddly charming
- Matthew Butcher launches the Flood House that will travel around the Thames Estuary
- Haunting train-simulator-based animation by Jack Featherstone for Occult Orientated Crime
- Philip Coppola spends nearly 40 years illustrating New York City’s Subway Stations
- LA studio Laundry creates amazing warped Simpsons idents for American channel FX
- Design Bridge creates new harp icon for Guinness
- Winning design for Tokyo 2020 Olympics unveiled
- Prince: 1958-2016
- Milton Glaser creates new look for Brooklyn Brewery