Here in London, the end of the London Collections: Men means the end of revelling in sartorial male brilliance right? Wrong! Guinness has created a superb short film which features the Sapeurs, a group of people from the Republic of the Congo who embrace stylistic individualism in a truly inspiring way. It’s part of the Guinness Made Of More campaign, which celebrates those who live their lives with real integrity and character.
What makes this more than just an interesting fashion story is that there is a philosophical underpinning to the Sapeurs’ lifestyle along with the charm and flair.
The men who embrace La Sape are part of a heritage that stretches back to their ancestors and that will reach forward to future generations. In their commitment to non-violence and freedom of expression, they embody a way of looking at life from which we could all learn something. This outlook though is brought to life through a philosophy of joie de vivre which shines through in every frame of the film. It’s well worth a few minutes of your time so stop what you’re doing and watch it now!
This article was produced in collaboration with Guinness. Drink responsibly. Visit www.drinkaware.co.uk for the facts. The GUINNESS word and associated logos are trademarks © GUINNESS & Co. 2014.
- Cheer Up Luv: the photography project sharing womens' experiences with sexual harassment
- “Bold, concise, minimalist and sometimes abstract”: a look at Jeong Hwa Min’s new illustrative approach
- Patrik Mollwing’s illustrations and wigglegrams depict a cast of colourful characters
- Between the pages of Polanski’s suburbia-themed sixth issue
- Hacking Heidelberg: how Erik Spiekermann came to reinvent the printing process
- ManvsMachine on its hugely diverse campaign for Air Max Day
- BBC’s new typeface BBC Reith is designed to improve legibility on screen
- Life through the lens of enchanting photographer Vicki King
- The New York Times Magazine’s new cover is actually a painting
- Illustrator Ram Han’s Alice in Wonderland dreamscape
- Ikea uses ASMR technology in 25-minute, tingle inducing advert
- Designs of the Year 2017 shortlist includes Wolfgang Tillmans’ Remain campaign, the Refugee flag and Me & EU