It’s difficult to know where to start with Erik Kessels due to the sheer variety of his work. For starters, Erik is the creative director of KesselsKramer, a world-renowned communications agency based in Amsterdam. Since 1996, he has built up an accomplished portfolio for national and international clients.
Erik’s personal projects are just as impressive, as an artist and photography collector, he has published various books of his ‘collected’ images. In Almost Every Picture is an ongoing series where Erik champions ordinary people going about their business – which are far from normal! His fascination with gathering photographs has extended to curating shows based around his archive. Album Beauty shown at the FOAM Gallery in Amsterdam, was an “ode to the vanishing era of the photo album” where he exhibited family portraits collected to create a “visual anthropology”.
Erik’s work is captivating to say the least, with plenty of playfulness thrown in for good measure. That playfulness also extends to KesselsKramer’s website. Tricking the innocent viewer, you either get KesselsKramer teeth whitening kit, their “amazing butterflies”, or the chance to sponsor a bird in their “Bird Paradise”. All fake of course. You can see some of KesselsKramer’s extensive portfolio on the Amsterdam AD Blog.
As you’ve probably guessed, we’re over the moon to have Erik speaking at Here 2013. His talk – titled Don’t be scared to make mistakes! – will give us a unique insight into his inspirations and the process behind his creations. He will explore why making mistakes is a good thing and how your hobbies and storytelling should influence your work.
For more info on Here 2013 and to get tickets please visit: www.here-london.com
There are group discounts available for groups of 5 or more – please email firstname.lastname@example.org. If you’re a student or recent 2012 graduate then we’re offering educational discounts (£60 for full day pass) – simply email email@example.com for the discount code.
- Wrap up warm with this week's Best of the Web
- This is Jane: a charming photo series that displays the empowerment of women
- Brooklyn-based illustrator Aaron Fernandez’s fluorescent editorial commissions
- London-based designer Laura Jouan’s well-considered, monochrome portfolio
- Join Jonathan Barnbrook, Maisie Willoughby, Wallace Henning, Anna Lomax and Jess Bonham at Nicer Tuesdays December
- Legs 11: artist Alfie Kungu’s comically long-trousered figures
- Wes Anderson directs H&M Christmas advert starring Adrien Brody
- The New Look: Looking back at Roundel’s 1980s identity design for British Rail’s Railfreight
- Discussing cinema with Laura Marling on her directorial debut, Soothing
- London’s first crisp restaurant, Hipchips, launches with branding by Ragged Edge
- Richard Sandler’s street photography conveys the intricacies of city life
- A "stress opus" from cartoonist Nadine Redlich