Erik Kessels has been working on his In Almost Every Picture series for a good old while now (he’s now on #12). It’s a series that sees his role as a curator pushed to the extreme, sampling images from a multitude of found sources and bringing them together into individual monographs. His aim is to take everyday characters going about their business and place them on a pedestal for all to see. Previous editions have focussed on a Dutch woman who shoots fairground stalls, a bunny carrying objects on its head and Fred and Valerie, a husband and wife duo obsessed with getting their expensive clothes wet in public and documenting the results.
It goes without saying that the content of this project is varied, and the latest edition is yet another departure into the unknown, comprised of a vast number of images of Larbi Laaraichi, a Moroccan wedding filmmaker who likes to capture himself at every wedding he shoots. Kessels has ordered the photos of Larbi chronologically allowing us to see the progression of his career, and also the effects of time on his face. It’s a fascinating portrait of a man who’s no different to the rest of us, plucked out of obscurity by another man who definitely is.
- Reactions to the referendum and our weekly Best of the Web
- Ben Hill and Daniel Oeffinger offer helping hand on Bucks' new animated spot for Cree
- Kristen Liu-Wong’s wild fluoro illustrations of empowered women
- Thoughtful composition and colour blocking in Martin Steiner’s sleek portfolio
- The Imperfection Booklets by O.OO explain the nuances of Risograph printing
- Artist Kirsty Harris revisits the CND protests from a personal perspective
- Don't Hug Me I'm Scared - an exclusive interview with Duck, Red Guy and Yellow Guy
- World’s “ugliest” Pantone colour 448C is being used to deter smokers
- Ten of our favourite collage artists on Instagram
- Creative industries make last attempts to sway EU referendum voters
- North evolves Tate identity to be more adaptable
- Monotype unveils its redesigned Transport for London typeface, Johnston100