Erik Kessels has been working on his In Almost Every Picture series for a good old while now (he’s now on #12). It’s a series that sees his role as a curator pushed to the extreme, sampling images from a multitude of found sources and bringing them together into individual monographs. His aim is to take everyday characters going about their business and place them on a pedestal for all to see. Previous editions have focussed on a Dutch woman who shoots fairground stalls, a bunny carrying objects on its head and Fred and Valerie, a husband and wife duo obsessed with getting their expensive clothes wet in public and documenting the results.
It goes without saying that the content of this project is varied, and the latest edition is yet another departure into the unknown, comprised of a vast number of images of Larbi Laaraichi, a Moroccan wedding filmmaker who likes to capture himself at every wedding he shoots. Kessels has ordered the photos of Larbi chronologically allowing us to see the progression of his career, and also the effects of time on his face. It’s a fascinating portrait of a man who’s no different to the rest of us, plucked out of obscurity by another man who definitely is.
- French illustrator Damien Filliatre's “trashy and cynical” universe
- Graphic Designer Robynne Redgrave profiles prolific Yelp.com reviewer in You Can Change
- Photographer Ina Niehoff's "pure and silent" look at the Moroccan countryside
- The meticulously layered and striped paintings of Guy Yanai
- Design studio Sawdust shares its most-loved books
- Bureau David Voss creates Bauhaus-inspired book about modern housekeeping
- Wolff Olins and zigbee launch the “first open-source brand for the Internet of Things”
- Graphic Design Festival Paris reveals 19 sport-inspired posters by Hort, Julia, Spassky Fischer and more
- FKA twigs teams up with 17 year old photographer David Uzochukwu for new Nike campaign
- Too Fast To Think: why switching off unlocks creativity
- Brian Finke captures the glitz and glamour of the Ms. Senior America beauty pageant