Established by illustrator Kaye Blegvad, Horizontal Press is a small pornographic press specialising in “small batch jazz mags and seminal works.” Based in Brooklyn, Horizontal Press keeps its tongue firmly in cheek, “[taking pleasure] in publishing erotic works for the discerning horndog.” If that wasn’t news enough, it’s launching this Valentine’s Day – just in time for you to send your loved one, or yourself, a Tijuana Bible by some of illustration’s most glittering stars. There’s Rose Blake, Clay Hickson and Lizzy Stewart to name but a few.
In case you were wondering, Tijuana Bibles are palm-sized pornographic comics that have been produced in the US since the 1920s. Popularity peaked during the Great Depression and now Horizontal Press has brought them right up to the n(au)ghties. Sorry.
- The sun is out, and Best of the Web is here to offer some shade
- Jonathan Castro’s vibrant designs are a realisation of his research and exploration
- Friday Mixtape: top picks from ten years of Field Day
- A retrospective look at Latif Al Ani’s photographs of Iraq’s “golden age”
- Olimpia Zagnoli illustrates How to Eat Spaghetti Like a Lady
- Cost-effective, beautiful shit: an interview with the Deadbeat Club
- YouTube releases its first own-brand font, YouTube Sans, inspired by the play button
- Inside Susan Kare’s sketchbooks are the makings of Mac’s graphic interfaces
- The return of the hovering art director: we asked comic artist Nadine Redlich to peer inside agency life
- Photographer Raymond Rojas captures the “magic” in Disneyland Paris
- Stefan Sagmeister speaks to It's Nice That about The Beauty Project
- Seattle-based illustrator Kelly Bjork depicts languid ladies and neat interiors