Established by illustrator Kaye Blegvad, Horizontal Press is a small pornographic press specialising in “small batch jazz mags and seminal works.” Based in Brooklyn, Horizontal Press keeps its tongue firmly in cheek, “[taking pleasure] in publishing erotic works for the discerning horndog.” If that wasn’t news enough, it’s launching this Valentine’s Day – just in time for you to send your loved one, or yourself, a Tijuana Bible by some of illustration’s most glittering stars. There’s Rose Blake, Clay Hickson and Lizzy Stewart to name but a few.
In case you were wondering, Tijuana Bibles are palm-sized pornographic comics that have been produced in the US since the 1920s. Popularity peaked during the Great Depression and now Horizontal Press has brought them right up to the n(au)ghties. Sorry.
- "Where’s my community?": Skin Deep and POC on the need for diversity in the film industry
- Jee-ook Choi conveys complex ideas using fine linework and muted colours
- Photographer Mehdi Lacoste on working with Actress
- French designer Victoire Coyon’s understated portfolio
- Unit Editions’ upcoming book on the unparalleled work of Paula Scher
- A creative composite of illustration: ten years of Christoph Ruckhäberle’s Lubok
- A new national identity: Smörgåsbord Studio rebrands Wales
- Graphic design gems: Chicago gang business cards from the 1970s and 80s
- Photographer Dougie Wallace captures the super rich spenders of “Harrodsburg”
- “Romance in a sort-of fantasy world”: photographer Molly Matalon's new work (some NSFW)
- Studio Michael Satter’s sophisticatedly simple graphic design portfolio
- Harry Pearce and Pentagram create a new identity for Pink Floyd’s record label