Excitement is growing here and not just because Christmas cheer is creeping round the corner! In Progress is almost upon us and our next speaker profile focuses on one half of the iconic design studio BarberOsgerby. We’re thrilled to be welcoming Edward Barber to speak about their design process – from brief to production.
Edward has lectured internationally while his work with Osgerby continues to attract acclaim, being held in permanent collections across the world’s major art institutions. A monograph The Design Work of Edward Barber & Jay Osgerby was published by Rizzoli in 2011, shortly before the pair were commissioned to design the multi-award-winning 2012 Olympic torch.
And as if this wasn’t enough, the pair have also set up Map – a strategy-based industrial design studio – and Universal Design Studio, a consultancy working in architecture, interiors and exhibition design including Google’s dramatic new Web Lab at the Science Museum this year.
Edward will be speaking about their inspiration, the process of designing and producing the torch — a process transferable to their design projects at varying scales, while contextualising their work within the wider picture of British design this year. It promises to be quite a corker!
In Progress is supported by Lowdi, the portable wireless speaker.
- Best of the Web: a few of our favourite things we've spotted on the internet this week
- Tom Phillips' magnum opus turned a Victorian novel into a work of art spanning 50 years
- Matisse-inspired posters for Serbian Youth Day from designer Monika Lang
- Raphael Schoen's cheerfully chaotic posters for a Swiss youth club
- Illustrators including Sam Taylor and Charlotte Mei's tributes to NWA's Straight Outta Compton
- The slides and sleep pods of LA's Silicon Beach startup scene captured by Lauren Greenfield
- A mind full of filthy ideas and creative brilliance: we visit Malika Favre
- The bizarre, twilight world of Berlin-based photographer Maxime Ballesteros
- Wieden + Kennedy Amsterdam and Colophon create typeface that works with the Earth's tilt
- The Anonymous Sex Journal is back, and this issue is all about wanking
- The homeless Dirty Kids of America and their "rainbow party" explored in new film
- 12-year-old accidentally punches a hole $1.5 million painting