I’d venture to say that there are few things better than when a fresh new graduate who you’d imagined was bumbling around in the wasteland that usually follows the end of a degree at art school, suddenly presents an incredible piece of work. You’d assumed they were slugging back Bacardi Breezers and sleeping on their mum’s sofa, when the whole time they were actually grafting away on a project to make your eyes widen and your mouth drool.
We first wrote about Jack Sachs back in January when he was making some pretty solid illustration and 3D animation, but his astonishing new short, Make Do kind of blows it out of the water. It’s a laid back gaze around a wood workshop, complete with tools, pegboards and projects in progress, but the finish is so slick and the pervading atmosphere so carefully crafted that I have absolutely no idea how he magicked it up. No little nuance in light or detail has gone unnoticed, and consequently it makes for a delightful watch. This is the stuff that a director somewhere over at Pixar has been dreaming about for 20 years. We’re excited to sit back and watch while Jack lands himself a dream job.
- British Values: a new zine celebrating stories from immigrant communities in the UK
- A well-crafted, shapeshifting print project celebrating 100 years of design manifestos
- Movers and image-makers: a masterclass in fashion photography from Nick Knight
- Bright, beautiful and of-the-moment portraits shot in Tijuana by Jake Michael
- Cool, contemporary identity for Crown hat-makers by Studio Moross
- LA courtroom illustrations from cases including OJ Simpson and Snoop Dogg in new monograph
- A mind full of filthy ideas and creative brilliance: we visit Malika Favre
- The bizarre, twilight world of Berlin-based photographer Maxime Ballesteros
- Wieden + Kennedy Amsterdam and Colophon create typeface that works with the Earth's tilt
- The Anonymous Sex Journal is back, and this issue is all about wanking
- 12-year-old accidentally punches a hole $1.5 million painting
- Ely Dagher’s hypnotic and erotic animated vignettes for Model 86’s EP (NSFW)