I’d venture to say that there are few things better than when a fresh new graduate who you’d imagined was bumbling around in the wasteland that usually follows the end of a degree at art school, suddenly presents an incredible piece of work. You’d assumed they were slugging back Bacardi Breezers and sleeping on their mum’s sofa, when the whole time they were actually grafting away on a project to make your eyes widen and your mouth drool.
We first wrote about Jack Sachs back in January when he was making some pretty solid illustration and 3D animation, but his astonishing new short, Make Do kind of blows it out of the water. It’s a laid back gaze around a wood workshop, complete with tools, pegboards and projects in progress, but the finish is so slick and the pervading atmosphere so carefully crafted that I have absolutely no idea how he magicked it up. No little nuance in light or detail has gone unnoticed, and consequently it makes for a delightful watch. This is the stuff that a director somewhere over at Pixar has been dreaming about for 20 years. We’re excited to sit back and watch while Jack lands himself a dream job.
- Sam Pilling directs video for DJ Shadow track Nobody Speaks
- Mrzyk & Moriceau's hilariously psychedelic music video for The Avalanches
- Nick Waplington's artwork for Yak, a striking representation of their sound
- Ondrej Bachor and Jan Horcik create ever-evolving identity for fashion designer Karolina Jurikova
- Bodil Jane's illustrations: ornate, exotic and really very lovely
- Drifting SUVs in the Arabian desert: Peter Garritano explores the world of hajwalah
- Sagmeister & Walsh rebrands fashion label Milly to reflect its "edgy" new personality
- Dominic Wilcox designs art exhibition for dogs (plus exclusive artist sketches)
- Jaemin Lee’s gloriously retro exhibition identities and poster designs
- James Jean’s phantasmagorical world of technicolour fever dreams
- The Refugee Nation Olympic flag was inspired by a lifejacket
- Things: the inspiring post that got us through the long hot summer nights of August