Jade Schulz’s project Video Vixen Drop Cap is an ongoing series which sees the illustrator creating a typeface using video vixens as her inspiration. A video vixen is typically a female model who appears in hip-hop music videos as straight-up eye candy – they ooze sex appeal yet remain unattainable to us normal folk.
Here, Korean-born US-based Jade puts these vixens centre stage and uses impressive butts and cascading hair to contort her characters into the various shapes of the alphabet. Currently on letter N, it’s a fun, personal project that allows Jade to play with proportions in between her regular editorial work.
- Submit Saturdays: First impressions and Cover Pages
- A futuristic framework for the retrospective of pioneering “total design” advocate Ove Arup
- Cool off with this week's Best of the Web and who to follow on social media
- Elena Éper's spirited illustrations to make you smile and squirm
- Pencil Bandit and Grey London produce quirky branded stings for E4
- Tommy Cash subverts the tropes of rap videos with a fleshy celebration of the human body (NSFW)
- Pentagram unveils refresh of Mastercard’s brand mark and identity
- Chris (Simpsons Artist)'s surreal but accurate illustrations of creative jobs
- Benedict Redgrove’s beautifully hypnotic film about how a tennis ball is created
- Ian Davis’ picturesque paintings of bureaucratic dystopia
- Photographer Adrienne Salinger’s series of teenage bedrooms from the 90s
- Is it ever OK to work for free?