As a teenager the mother daughter relationship can be an intense one. At times you wish she got your humour more, “I’m not being rude –it’s funny!” and understood that most of the time when you say you’re fine, obviously it means the world is ending. But then there’s times when you’re on the same side and need guidance from her, like assistance in predicaments such as: “Can you sneak me out so Dad doesn’t see how short my skirt is?”
While Julia Fullerton-Batten captures less of this domestic aspect and more of the surreal and fragile in her Mothers and Daughters project, the same sentiments are there as she explores the complex relationship through documenting personal memories. Shooting genuine mothers and daughters, Julia wants us to see the tenuity and vulnerability in these relationships which is achieved through this powerful crispness and dramatic filmic quality she’s given the shots. Everything from the set design and clothes to the composition is beautifully eerie and the narrative behind each of these images draws you in.
Many of Julia’s projects address the progression from teenager to womanhood in this unique and visually impactful way such as Teenage Stories that also caught my attention. Being shot in model villages the girls have both literally and metaphorically outgrown the world they live in portraying the various changes and tribulations teenagers go through in this mesmerising day-dream way.
- Hold Me Closer Tiny Dancer: the Stein sisters’ heart-warming film on child ballroom stars
- Three female art directors on collaboration, competition and confidence
- Pooneh Ghana’s ambient crowd and artist portraits from Pitchfork Music Festival make you wish you were there
- Julian Glander explains what a blockchain system is for MIT Technology Review
- “It’s a process of baby-making”: designing the horrific and hilarious multiverse of Rick and Morty
- Pouya Ahmadi uses typography to “bridge the gap between poetry, performance and space"
- The Sky Sports rebrand features bespoke type and refined logos across nine channels
- Rick and Morty’s Exquisite Corpse trailer features 22 animators including Simon Landrein and Bendik Kaltenborn
- Larry Hallegua captures sun worshippers on Pattaya Beach in Thailand
- Applicants to UK arts and design university courses declines by over 14,000 this year
- Michael Bierut designs new brand identity for the Poetry Foundation
- Design, Revolt, Rainbow: the pioneering work of graphic designer Willy Fleckhaus