If Little White Lies were a clichéd male it’d be trading in its five-door hatchback for a Harley, trying on a lot of leather jackets and giving more than a passing thought to a fling with a co-worker/secretary. But rather than doing anything tragic to celebrate its 50th, our favourite movie mag has released a bumper issue that takes us through the very finest films of the last half-century and are running a weekend takeover at the ICA in December – a much better way to celebrate mid-life than an office affair!
The magazine itself is a generous helping of illustrated excellence from the likes of Paul X Johnson, Sam Brewster, Charlotte Mei, Grace Helmer and Tim McDonagh accompanying articles on Moonrise Kingdom, Crank: High Voltage and Pan’s Labyrinth (to give you a sample of the past decade) and a huge list of films that I’ve mostly never heard of, but will be making a concerted effort to see ASAP (apart from Crank. Seen it, loved it).
The icing on the LWL birthday cake is a two-day festival of masterfully curated screenings that range from classics like The Life Aquatic and Gummo to a newly restored print of Barbara Loden’s Wanda. So er, chop chop, grab some tickets and help Little White Lies celebrate middle age in style.
- Best of the Web: a few of our favourite things we've spotted on the internet this week
- Tom Phillips' magnum opus turned a Victorian novel into a work of art spanning 50 years
- Matisse-inspired posters for Serbian Youth Day from designer Monika Lang
- Raphael Schoen's cheerfully chaotic posters for a Swiss youth club
- Illustrators including Sam Taylor and Charlotte Mei's tributes to NWA's Straight Outta Compton
- The slides and sleep pods of LA's Silicon Beach startup scene captured by Lauren Greenfield
- A mind full of filthy ideas and creative brilliance: we visit Malika Favre
- The bizarre, twilight world of Berlin-based photographer Maxime Ballesteros
- Wieden + Kennedy Amsterdam and Colophon create typeface that works with the Earth's tilt
- The Anonymous Sex Journal is back, and this issue is all about wanking
- The homeless Dirty Kids of America and their "rainbow party" explored in new film
- 12-year-old accidentally punches a hole $1.5 million painting