If Little White Lies were a clichéd male it’d be trading in its five-door hatchback for a Harley, trying on a lot of leather jackets and giving more than a passing thought to a fling with a co-worker/secretary. But rather than doing anything tragic to celebrate its 50th, our favourite movie mag has released a bumper issue that takes us through the very finest films of the last half-century and are running a weekend takeover at the ICA in December – a much better way to celebrate mid-life than an office affair!
The magazine itself is a generous helping of illustrated excellence from the likes of Paul X Johnson, Sam Brewster, Charlotte Mei, Grace Helmer and Tim McDonagh accompanying articles on Moonrise Kingdom, Crank: High Voltage and Pan’s Labyrinth (to give you a sample of the past decade) and a huge list of films that I’ve mostly never heard of, but will be making a concerted effort to see ASAP (apart from Crank. Seen it, loved it).
The icing on the LWL birthday cake is a two-day festival of masterfully curated screenings that range from classics like The Life Aquatic and Gummo to a newly restored print of Barbara Loden’s Wanda. So er, chop chop, grab some tickets and help Little White Lies celebrate middle age in style.
- Submit Saturdays: photographer and filmmaker Harry Israelson's bright, smart portfolio
- May Diary: where to go and what to see this month
- Crisp and vibrant design work from ECAL graduate Clement Rouzaud
- Portuguese illustrator Tiago Galo’s plump little characters are oddly charming
- Matthew Butcher launches the Flood House that will travel around the Thames Estuary
- Haunting train-simulator-based animation by Jack Featherstone for Occult Orientated Crime
- Philip Coppola spends nearly 40 years illustrating New York City’s Subway Stations
- LA studio Laundry creates amazing warped Simpsons idents for American channel FX
- Design Bridge creates new harp icon for Guinness
- Winning design for Tokyo 2020 Olympics unveiled
- Prince: 1958-2016
- Milton Glaser creates new look for Brooklyn Brewery