If Little White Lies were a clichéd male it’d be trading in its five-door hatchback for a Harley, trying on a lot of leather jackets and giving more than a passing thought to a fling with a co-worker/secretary. But rather than doing anything tragic to celebrate its 50th, our favourite movie mag has released a bumper issue that takes us through the very finest films of the last half-century and are running a weekend takeover at the ICA in December – a much better way to celebrate mid-life than an office affair!
The magazine itself is a generous helping of illustrated excellence from the likes of Paul X Johnson, Sam Brewster, Charlotte Mei, Grace Helmer and Tim McDonagh accompanying articles on Moonrise Kingdom, Crank: High Voltage and Pan’s Labyrinth (to give you a sample of the past decade) and a huge list of films that I’ve mostly never heard of, but will be making a concerted effort to see ASAP (apart from Crank. Seen it, loved it).
The icing on the LWL birthday cake is a two-day festival of masterfully curated screenings that range from classics like The Life Aquatic and Gummo to a newly restored print of Barbara Loden’s Wanda. So er, chop chop, grab some tickets and help Little White Lies celebrate middle age in style.
- Best of the Web: Trump inauguration protest special
- We go behind the scenes of Bonobo’s trippy No Reason video with director Oscar Hudson
- Doppelglanders: 3D animator Julian Glander interviews his name twin
- The witchy dreamscapes of illustrator Maren Karlson
- Maciej Dakowicz's photographs capture unexpected, serendipitous moments
- The comic book influences of illustrator Stefanie Leinhos
- Wolff Olins and zigbee launch the “first open-source brand for the Internet of Things”
- Graphic Design Festival Paris reveals 19 sport-inspired posters by Hort, Julia, Spassky Fischer and more
- FKA twigs teams up with 17 year old photographer David Uzochukwu for new Nike campaign
- Too Fast To Think: why switching off unlocks creativity
- Brian Finke captures the glitz and glamour of the Ms. Senior America beauty pageant