Before you laugh, this isn’t just some stupid internet-friendly cats Photoshopped on to rice, it’s much more than that. Neko-Sushi is “an extremely unusual life-form” the website tells us, “although several references have come down to us through history from various researchers and witnesses, their existence is still shrouded in mystery and actual sightings remain rare.”
The oddly sincere tone that creators Tange & Nakimushi Peanuts have taken when describing the cats is at once unnerving and hilarious. For once someone has actually created a meme with a creative backstory rather than just aesthetically-funny-Twitter-fodder to pander to our scrolling tendencies. Rice to meet you sushi kitties!
- Design's many, many layers, and the power of music, at Nicer Tuesdays July
- It’s just life: The democratic eye of William Eggleston
- Tim Lahan is the new Mystic Meg with horoscope illustrations for Elle Magazine
- Musical instruments with a modernist aesthetic by Hundo
- Former Buzzcocks drummer John Maher exhibits his photography work in Nobody's Home
- Monument Valley creator ustwo gives us a peek at its bookshelf
- Benedict Redgrove’s beautifully hypnotic film about how a tennis ball is created
- Tommy Cash subverts the tropes of rap videos with a fleshy celebration of the human body (NSFW)
- Ian Davis’ picturesque paintings of bureaucratic dystopia
- Is it ever OK to work for free?
- Pentagram unveils refresh of Mastercard’s brand mark and identity
- Peter Saville and Tate Design Studio create beer can artwork for Switch House pale ale