Next up in our Nicer Tuesdays magazine-themed talks is founder and editor-in-chief of Riposte Danielle Pender. Danielle told us how she wanted to provide an alternative to the one-sided, image-obsessed focus of mainstream women’s media. “Even the more reputable magazine portray images of womanhood that are entirely unrealistic” she said, referencing the heavy-handed Photoshop applied to most cover stars. She explained how this content-over-image approach influenced the brilliant design of the magazine, of which the front cover is dominated by text, while the back features the image. “Apparently we missed out a big opportunity for advertising by putting a photo on the back. If you can’t play around with format on your first venture into publishing, though, when can you?”
Founded in 1991, Park Communications is considered by many to be London’s preeminent printer. With a roster of both corporate and cultural clients, Park is a one-stop-shop to translate, artwork, print and bind literature of many different kinds, from the finest coffee table books and catalogues, through FTSE annual reports, to niche market magazines and brochures. Working closely with clients to develop bespoke creative solutions, Park’s reputation is built on the highest quality, reliability and flexibility.
They have brought their professionalism to both our Printed Pages magazine and the It’s Nice That Annual 2013, and we look forward to working with them in 2014 and beyond. To contact Park, email Alison at email@example.com or via the website www.parkcom.co.uk.
- The idyllic and relatable still lifes of Bradley Kerl
- We spoke to the director behind Young Thug's "Wyclef Jean" video
- Illustrator Marina Pcheliakova’s happy characters follow a range of leisure pursuits
- A closer look at the work of “performer and plastic artist” Caroline Denervaud
- Oriele Steiner’s naive pastel works interpret the world around her
- Alan Resnick animates the adventures of his odd little character Johnny Bubble
- Wolff Olins and zigbee launch the “first open-source brand for the Internet of Things”
- Graphic Design Festival Paris reveals 19 sport-inspired posters by Hort, Julia, Spassky Fischer and more
- FKA twigs teams up with 17 year old photographer David Uzochukwu for new Nike campaign
- Too Fast To Think: why switching off unlocks creativity
- Brian Finke captures the glitz and glamour of the Ms. Senior America beauty pageant