Nicos Livesey has created an animation entirely from icing, sugar and jelly for confectionary brand Maynards Bassetts. The film takes the animator’s usual claymation style into new media, making it entirely edible.
The fast-paced film features psychedelic patterns, creepy circus music, robots, wizards, rockets and other bizarre characters, all shot in-camera. Using these new materials came with a host of production challenges, as Nicos explains: “A few models melted, and they didn’t bend so we had to build entirely new models for some shots. One day I even caught some of the model makers eating some of the set,” he laughs. “But I did eat one of the frames when I had no food in the house.”
This follows his brilliantly hair-raising film Glore commissioned by It’s Nice That for Channel 4’s Random Acts.
It is the final short to be released as part of a series produced by Blinkink and Blink Art for Wieden + Kennedy. The other eight ads were created by Rob Flowers, Tom Omeara, Parabella, Chris Bristow, Cartwright Gantz, Jonny & Will, Sebaldo and Jack Sachs, and can be viewed here.
- Photographer Peter Anderson on his experiments with a Widelux camera and their "wonderful distortions"
- "We are visual storytellers": studio Córdova Canillas talks us through the redesign of Fucking Young! magazine
- A sneak peak into Patrick Kyle’s new comic, Night Door
- Liam Cobb illustrates the collapse of the Heygate Estate in latest comic Conditioner
- “Imagination doesn’t compare to our real life design history”: Annie Atkins on the art of graphic design for film
- X-Rated Adult Movie Posters of the 60s and 70s celebrates gloriously crude B-movie artwork
- The New York Times Magazine’s new cover is actually a painting
- BBC’s new typeface BBC Reith is designed to improve legibility on screen
- “It needs to be normalised that women masturbate”: meet illustrator Jordyn McGeachin
- Life through the lens of enchanting photographer Vicki King
- Six months in the (enviable) life of photographer Ryan Lowry
- We get to know hilarious and thoughtful illustrator, Ruby Etc