Since Jason Schwartzman/John Baldessari’s head introduced us to the multitudinous exhibited delights now happening across California, we thought we’d take a closer look at Pacific Standard Time’s events and shows calendar. We’ll be picking out a top recommendation each day for those lucky enough to be vaguely west coast and first up is Crosscurrents in L.A. Painting and Sculpture. A research based collection from the the Getty Centre offering “a fundamental reappraisal and reinterpretation of postwar Los Angeles art” and featuring over 50 artists…
It’s a show that encompasses both era and the individual, artists like Ed Ruscha and Vija Clemins have works representing their own extraordinary and broad contribution to the art world within the historical movement of the L.A. art scene.
- Zoe Kao and Huang Wun-Sing find inspiration in the uncertainty of the design process
- Documenting the world in motion: Lauren Tamaki’s illustrations of modern life
- Baptise Bernazeau’s ode to ruins told through crumbling typography and illustration
- The jack of all trades, and the master of them too: Robbie Simon
- Submit Saturdays: First impressions and Cover Pages
- A futuristic framework for the retrospective of pioneering “total design” advocate Ove Arup
- Pentagram unveils refresh of Mastercard’s brand mark and identity
- Chris (Simpsons Artist)'s surreal but accurate illustrations of creative jobs
- Benedict Redgrove’s beautifully hypnotic film about how a tennis ball is created
- Ian Davis’ picturesque paintings of bureaucratic dystopia
- Photographer Adrienne Salinger’s series of teenage bedrooms from the 90s
- Is it ever OK to work for free?