Phaidon’s latest book Graphic: 500 Designs that Matter, gathers together the most iconic graphic designs of all time, “from the beginnings of mechanical reproduction to the present”. The book celebrates the history of graphic design by showcasing an international range of successful and timeless designs.
The material has been complied from the Phaidon Archives of Graphic Design and aims to be a “definitive selection of newspapers, magazines, posters, advertisements, typefaces, corporate designs and record covers”, as well as incorporating rare historical and archival materials.
The postcard-size, 700-page book spans 600 years, presenting readers with the best in visual communication, from the first examples of mechanical production during the 15th Century, to designs that were borne out of the Industrial Revolution of the 18th and 19th Centuries, as well as popular icons and cutting-edge work for the 20th Century.
A compact catalogue, this graphic design survey include gems such as Milton Glaser’s I Heart NY logo, Shepard Fairey’s Obama poster and a Bauhaus programmes books created by László Moholy-Nagy, Herbert Bayer, Walter Gropius. For clarity, the chunky tome also feaures a timeline, highlighting graphic design’s journey that spans both geography and time.
Graphic: 500 Designs that Matter is published by Phaidon and is available from 20 March 2017.
- 71-year-old, formerly homeless Romanian collage artist Ion Bârlādeanu opens first UK show
- Glossy nostalgia from fashion photographer Charlotte Wales
- Simon Eeles’ photographic series is “a tender and wry postcard” from Australia
- Andrea Ucini’s conceptual illustrations play with perspective
- “Sensitive, rigorous” graphic design from Parisian Jérémy Glâtre
- Living for the weekend, it's Best of the Web!
- Petition launched against winner of Foam Paul Huf photography award for “stereotyping and sexism”
- Exclusive: rediscover graphics from Fiorucci’s archival 1984 Panini collaboration
- Kirsten Lepore’s creepy clay character is oddly soothing in this brilliant animation
- Me & EU project will send creative postcards across Europe on trigger date of Article 50
- Phaidon book gathers together 500 of the most iconic graphic designs of all time
- Atelier Brenda: the alter ego of three female designers you need to get to know