Digital artist Rafaël Rozendaal is turning the internet inside out with an exhibition at Steve Turner Los Angeles. His third solo exhibition at the gallery, Abstract Browsing allows the audience to view the internet through Rafaël’s unique perspective.
Fascinated and inspired by the back-end of our online world, Rafaël uses a plugin of his own creation to view the wireframe of any website he chooses. Searching for unexpected compositions and the discovery of “weird hybrids of human design and machine optimising,” he considers pixels on a screen akin to stitches on a tapestry and proceeds to create his own vibrant Jacquard woven artworks reflecting his most intriguing finds.
Juxtaposing his technically complex tapestries, Rafaël celebrates the short-form triumphs of the internet with haikus consisting simply of vinyl letters applied directly onto the walls of the gallery. Although he appreciates how perfectly suited haikus are to the chaotic movement of Twitter, Rafaël considers his exhibition and the gallery a welcome refuge from the frantic nature of the internet and presents his work as an opportunity to reflect on and contemplate the architecture of the web without the associated distractions.
- Tokyo illustrator Okamura Yuta and his endearing brush-and-ink characters
- French illustrator Damien Filliatre's “trashy and cynical” universe
- Graphic Designer Robynne Redgrave profiles prolific Yelp.com reviewer in You Can Change
- Photographer Ina Niehoff's "pure and silent" look at the Moroccan countryside
- The meticulously layered and striped paintings of Guy Yanai
- Design studio Sawdust shares its most-loved books
- Wolff Olins and zigbee launch the “first open-source brand for the Internet of Things”
- Graphic Design Festival Paris reveals 19 sport-inspired posters by Hort, Julia, Spassky Fischer and more
- FKA twigs teams up with 17 year old photographer David Uzochukwu for new Nike campaign
- Too Fast To Think: why switching off unlocks creativity
- Brian Finke captures the glitz and glamour of the Ms. Senior America beauty pageant