“Small cities need no fashion” they say, and what’s more, “the moment you try to make everybody like you is the moment of your art-suicide.” Bold words spoken to Urban Outfitters by Ukranian photography duo Roman Noven and Tania Shcheglova, so it would be a sad thing if their images lacked that intensity of individuality. Really then I should thank them for my happy morning thus far. Thanks, Synchrodogs (that’s their pseudonym, not my pet name).
The fashion (recently for Masha Reva) and the “for fun” photos are interchangeable, both have a vibrant sense of spontaneity and feature beautiful women contorting aesthetically in cool clothes, set into inexplicably European landscapes. They are big fans of frozen movement and use a heavy flash that picks details off of their backdrops and gives them a drop shadow – the overall effect of which is dramatic with what can only be elusive “youth” reflecting off them so brightly.
- Marcie LaCerte’s obscure animation follows the pursuit of some summer love
- Twin brothers V/A/B on their “difficultly simple” approach to design
- The people’s choice, it’s Best of the Web!
- Larry Hallegua captures sun worshippers on Pattaya Beach in Thailand
- Lukas Korshan photographs Dulwich Hamlet FC, where you can “drink beer, stand up, and let loose"
- “The field is stretching itself bigger and bigger” - Jurgen Bey on design education and infinite possibility
- Fashion photographer Miles Aldridge shoots the cast of Game of Thrones for Time Magazine
- The Netherlands’ royal crest changes gender for national women’s football team kit by Nike
- Peek inside erotic magazine Odiseo’s very NSFW tenth issue
- Rick and Morty’s Exquisite Corpse trailer features 22 animators including Simon Landrein and Bendik Kaltenborn
- Design director, Gail Bichler, on The New York Times Magazine typography exhibition
- Mark Shaw captures the glamour of haute couture runways from the 1950s