Words, eh? We can’t live with them and we can’t live without them…actually that’s not at all accurate. We can’t live without them only. Without them we’re be reduced to animalistic grunts and exaggerated gestures, but with them, with them we’re able to flirt, joke, teach, learn, advise, admonish, inspire, preach – anything at all really. So it’s only right and proper that Selfridges is giving itself over to celebrating the power of our little letter-y friends in all their glory, and as usual the iconic store is doing it in style.
You might already know that It’s Nice That were honoured to be chosen to take over four of the shop’s famous windows, and have installed not only a massive wooden rollercoaster which dispenses 30,000 unique 2012 fortunes but the word “words” spelled out by three of our top creative pals.
But that’s just the tip of the word-loving iceberg. The store’s Ultralounge has been turned into a mind-bogglingly wonderful library, with thousands of books from classic titles to hot new publications plus interactive Scrabble and super-cool old typewriters.
There’s also a word-tastic programme of events, with our talks series along with some magnificent stuff from the ever-excellent Idler Academy, including workshops, Latin and grammar classes and talks with mesmerising names like “Lectures on Love Letters”.
Finally of course there’s a chance to unleash your inner wordsmith with Selfridges carefully-selected products from notebooks to jewellery, games to books and magazines.
Words, words, words – we salute each and every one of you.
- Artist Henry Taylor takes over LA gallery Blum & Poe
- Accent magazine take us behind the scenes of issue two
- Shannon Jager, a graphic designer combining the technical and the thoughtful
- The Gourmand visualises the intricate flavours of Glenmorangie whisky
- Victoria Vincent’s animation captures the tragic pitfalls of online dating
- Adam Birkan captures the diverse and juxtaposing landscape of Hanoi
- “Nymphomaniac” photographer Casper Sejersen's explosive images
- Anja Wicki's sarcastically sweet comic illustrations
- Logo Pizza is selling 50 ready-made logos that increase in price with each one sold
- Google and INT Works commission 19 illustrators to create over 500 works for Allo app launch
- The Gentlewoman’s art director, Veronica Ditting gives us a peek at her bookshelf