Words, eh? We can’t live with them and we can’t live without them…actually that’s not at all accurate. We can’t live without them only. Without them we’re be reduced to animalistic grunts and exaggerated gestures, but with them, with them we’re able to flirt, joke, teach, learn, advise, admonish, inspire, preach – anything at all really. So it’s only right and proper that Selfridges is giving itself over to celebrating the power of our little letter-y friends in all their glory, and as usual the iconic store is doing it in style.
You might already know that It’s Nice That were honoured to be chosen to take over four of the shop’s famous windows, and have installed not only a massive wooden rollercoaster which dispenses 30,000 unique 2012 fortunes but the word “words” spelled out by three of our top creative pals.
But that’s just the tip of the word-loving iceberg. The store’s Ultralounge has been turned into a mind-bogglingly wonderful library, with thousands of books from classic titles to hot new publications plus interactive Scrabble and super-cool old typewriters.
There’s also a word-tastic programme of events, with our talks series along with some magnificent stuff from the ever-excellent Idler Academy, including workshops, Latin and grammar classes and talks with mesmerising names like “Lectures on Love Letters”.
Finally of course there’s a chance to unleash your inner wordsmith with Selfridges carefully-selected products from notebooks to jewellery, games to books and magazines.
Words, words, words – we salute each and every one of you.
- Hey presto, it's Best of the Web!
- Paris-based Studio Jimbo creates "impact and power" with punchy poster designs
- Minju An's oddly sinister illustrations depict strange characters and floating bread
- Friday Mixtape: Warpaint's Glastonbury picks
- Karifurav Caihua’s weirdly erotic Japanese-inspired illustrations
- High octane Nike China animation gets kids to wear their bandages as a “badge of honour”
- “Evolve or die”: Bloomberg Businessweek creative director Rob Vargas on the magazine’s redesign
- Southbank Centre visual identity redesigned by North, to be a “confident masthead” for the institution
- Photographer Khadija Saye has died in the Grenfell Tower fire, her family confirm
- The Buzzfeed redesign: UK art director Tim Lane talks us through his seven-month overhaul
- Alex Norris’ hilarious three-panelled webcomics are universally appealing
- Fresh Yale grad Franci Virgili applies an academic approach to graphic design