This series of monochromatic illustrations have been created by Colombia-born and Germany-based Stefhany Lozano for Bogota-based design studio and publisher La Silueta’s 2016 calendar.
Eschewing naff calendars of puppies and the Hollyoaks babes, the company asked Stefhany and fellow illustrator Tim Romanowsky to create images that were all about love for 2016. The curves and simplicity remind me distantly of Christoph Delorenzo’s work, but there’s an oddness and texture to Stefhany’s work that take it in a different and welcome direction. Her characters with blocky heads and close features are all captured at side profile, adding to the quirkiness. It makes their gestures both loving and awkward adding a sweetness to the tender hand-holding and long embraces.
- Brooklyn-based Jyan Ku’s naive pastel works are oddly charming
- Jules de Balincourt’s vivid paintings of public spaces play with reality
- Harry Israelson photographs a renaissance fair in sunny California
- Pentagram’s Domenic Lippa designs the inaugural issue of YES & NO Magazine
- Introducing graphic designer Moonsick Gang
- “Non-league football is our punk rock” – Alex Brown’s work for Eastbourne Town FC
- Animator and director James Curran’s amusing 30-day Gifathon project in Tokyo
- Photographer Sophie Mayanne’s new personal project celebrates imperfection (NSFW)
- Animator Saiman Chow’s trippy idents for Adult Swim’s Rick and Morty
- The daily grind: Louis Quail’s photographs of fascinatingly mundane offices
- "Before I was a graphic designer I had nearly no idea what one was": meet Austin Redman
- Matthew Raw: the east London artist making clay great again