Hi podlings! You’re in for a treat this week. Rob’s away so Liv’s in charge and she, Maisie and James are here to chew the fat on all today’s cultural topics. There’s a shitload going on in the world of art and design at the moment, and there’s Glastonbury and the World Cup too, so it’s best you keep up with the latest facts to impress your mates with. Up for it? We are, get stuck in using the SoundCloud embed below or subscribe via iTunes here.
First up we got stuck into chatting about our brand new redesign! Yes It’s Nice That has had a summer makeover and we discuss why we’ve changed things up and what we hope it will bring to the audience. We then chatted about Glastonbury festival because we felt like it wasn’t getting quite enough coverage already. It may be worth saying that out of the three of us, only James had actually been to the festival, just in case you thought you were going to get some real insight. If you want real insight, check out this incredible article in which a guy describes how he is the only person recorded to have successfully braved the Glastonbury fence.
After the break we chatted about the recent discussions about BP’s continuous sponsorship of the National Portrait Award, and then moved on to discuss this year’s very exciting It’s Nice That Graduates! We chatted about what we look for, why we do it, and what’s in it for the students who enter. Thanks for listening, as ever, and catch you next week. Bye!
- Brian Blomerth illustrates a “trippers guide” to the iPhone 64
- Alex de Mora on shooting Vice parties and famous footballers
- Natacha Paschal’s “deformed” interpretations of mag covers and fashion ads
- Leipzig graphic design studio Lamm & Kirch on their shared ethos
- Photographer Adrian Samson plays with space and perspective in this series of “still lifes”
- Photographer Sophie Green captures pagans at Stonehenge's summer solstice
- “Evolve or die”: Bloomberg Businessweek creative director Rob Vargas on the magazine’s redesign
- Southbank Centre visual identity redesigned by North, to be a “confident masthead” for the institution
- Photographer Khadija Saye has died in the Grenfell Tower fire, her family confirm
- The Buzzfeed redesign: UK art director Tim Lane talks us through his seven-month overhaul
- Alex Norris’ hilarious three-panelled webcomics are universally appealing
- Fresh Yale grad Franci Virgili applies an academic approach to graphic design