This week Things finds it’s form shooting other things from the treetops of it’s Beano-reading youth, loves illustrated haikus about disappointing sex, finds fun in a girls’ mag and likes three lovely, very different, well-printed posters. Go on, have a gander.
Not Another Bill & Chris Jarratt: Not Another… Slingshot
Not Another Bill create special surprises to break up the post mat’s red letters and junk mail. This month it’s a slingshot! Everyone loves a slingshot – especially when it’s been made by a professional slingshot maker Christopher Jarratt. Many a summer have I spent failing to whittle a branch into this sort of shape.
Jamie Stewart and Sophie Alda: Oneliest
Belly Kids, the eclectic publishers we have to thank for last summer’s Bill Murray colouring in book have just made this excellent little book of musician and poet Jamie Stewart’s haiku’s. Tender and witty illustrations by Sophie Alda accompany Jamie’s musings on cats, ennui, porn and grief.
Mushpit: Big Issue
Oh Mushpit, Dalston’s DIY mag dream. Very hard not to be won over by this one. Funny, fun and just getting on with making something they want to make. Scrunchies, horoscopes, belly jewels and how to crawl out of an existential crisis.
Thomas Murphy: prints
The shapes on Thomas Murphy’s screen printed Rocks and risograph Rock Sculptures are strange, elegant things that don’t necessarily resemble rocks at all. Some look like the eroded teeth an ardent Slush Puppy drinker might end up with, others a little like a strawberry meringue. In short, they’re pleasantly ambiguous.
Lovely Jojo: Quiet print
Ironically placed adjective or reverse-pyschology directive? However you read Lovely Jojo’s eye-dizzying print its sure to wake you up and make you squint, seeking shapes in those colourful triangles.
- Things glorious things! The best of the postman's offerings we received this September
- Founder of It’s Nice That Will Hudson announces the launch of new venture Lecture in Progress on Kickstarter
- Dan Emmerson shoots #bikelife in the Welsh valleys
- Dive into Adam Higton's collages via his psychedelic new album and video
- Bill Baird's ephemeral online album is completely unique for every listener
- Ewen Spencer on new commission, Kick over the statues
- “Nymphomaniac” photographer Casper Sejersen's explosive images
- Trump protest pins by Sagmeister & Walsh, Hort, Olimpia Zagnoli and more
- Google and INT Works commission 19 illustrators to create over 500 works for Allo app launch
- Kalen Hollomon's collages mix sex with fortune cookies
- Logo Pizza is selling 50 ready-made logos that increase in price with each one sold
- Anja Wicki's sarcastically sweet comic illustrations