This week Things finds it’s form shooting other things from the treetops of it’s Beano-reading youth, loves illustrated haikus about disappointing sex, finds fun in a girls’ mag and likes three lovely, very different, well-printed posters. Go on, have a gander.
Not Another Bill & Chris Jarratt: Not Another… Slingshot
Not Another Bill create special surprises to break up the post mat’s red letters and junk mail. This month it’s a slingshot! Everyone loves a slingshot – especially when it’s been made by a professional slingshot maker Christopher Jarratt. Many a summer have I spent failing to whittle a branch into this sort of shape.
Jamie Stewart and Sophie Alda: Oneliest
Belly Kids, the eclectic publishers we have to thank for last summer’s Bill Murray colouring in book have just made this excellent little book of musician and poet Jamie Stewart’s haiku’s. Tender and witty illustrations by Sophie Alda accompany Jamie’s musings on cats, ennui, porn and grief.
Mushpit: Big Issue
Oh Mushpit, Dalston’s DIY mag dream. Very hard not to be won over by this one. Funny, fun and just getting on with making something they want to make. Scrunchies, horoscopes, belly jewels and how to crawl out of an existential crisis.
Thomas Murphy: prints
The shapes on Thomas Murphy’s screen printed Rocks and risograph Rock Sculptures are strange, elegant things that don’t necessarily resemble rocks at all. Some look like the eroded teeth an ardent Slush Puppy drinker might end up with, others a little like a strawberry meringue. In short, they’re pleasantly ambiguous.
Lovely Jojo: Quiet print
Ironically placed adjective or reverse-pyschology directive? However you read Lovely Jojo’s eye-dizzying print its sure to wake you up and make you squint, seeking shapes in those colourful triangles.
- “It's not overly-shiny ‘render porn’ — it's got soul”: Margot Bowman on her new film for River Island
- Vogue interior photographer François Halard’s personal polaroids
- Nora Sturges’ clean and simple paintings using the unusual medium of eggs
- “A small Japanese photographer is on the same page of great photographers!”: Piczo joins WeFolk
- Illustrator Rob Flowers shares his treasure trove of books
- My First: Colophon and Sophie Mayanne talk about the themes of their book, Twenty-Two
- Photographer Trent Davis Bailey documents rural American community The North Fork
- Mr Bingo’s Valentine’s cards for single people
- Leipzig-based graphic designer Anja Kaiser takes us through her portfolio
- Why creative education for advertising is stuck in the dark ages
- Japanese graphic designer Ryu Mieno creates type-heavy works fizzing with energy
- Graphic artist Patrick Thomas’ found poster collages