The sun is shining, the skies are blue, the weekend is here and guess what… so is this week’s beautiful array of things! Hurrah!! This week we’ve got a nice gathering of stuff oozing with so much beauty that you’ll be all giddy in the head just taking a look. With fashion taking centre stage in the form of both a magazine and a book showcasing the very best in street fashion plus two very different photography books AND a vinyl made from cardboard, we really are spoiling you.
Scott Schuman: The Sartorialist
I love a properly weighty book and with more than 500 pages you can’t go wrong with Scott Schuman’s very latest book The Sartorialist bringing together some of the most eye-catching images from his famous blog. Done with the catwalks, Scott is all about street fashion and in his brand new book he showcases the world’s very best dressed people as far afield as Paris, Japan, Korea, London and New York. His photographs not only show the importance of self expression through clothes but also showcase a huge variety of people – young to old, bearded to balding; this book has it all and we love it.
Ward Roberts: Courts
Not all that long ago we rather excitedly told you all about photographer Ward Roberts doing beautiful things with courts and pastel colours so you can imagine our delight when a copy of his brand new, debut book came flying through our door. Photographing sport courts and playing fields from around the world in his series of colour-drenched photographs, seeing the results beautifully laid out in a book makes for pretty lovely viewing!
B – Mag: Issue six
As you know we are big big fans of beautifully designed and cleverly thought-out publications and so when the latest edition of fashion and lifestyle magazine B – Mag came through our door we went all a little woozy. “Defiantly proud of its British roots and caring more about style that it does about fashion” the inside is perfect in every degree. With its mixture of glossy and paper pages and diverse range of perfectly photographed content from fashion to photo-documentary this magazine is well worth an hour of two of your time.
Lisa Bauso: Bella’s Pockets
When I was younger my pockets became so full of bits and pieces that every time they were placed in the washing machine disaster ensued. My mum quickly learnt to check my pockets pre-wash but never did they stop being a haven for bits and bobs. So when Lisa’s book came through our door clinging onto that very memory obviously we thought it was great! Photographing the contents of her daughter Bella’s pockets – with everything from the tips of broken crayons, a broken model horse and vitamin C pills stashed instead of swallowed, the book gives you a beautiful and rather funny insight to the strange yet creative minds of children.
Turned Out Nice Again: Homage to George
Creative agency Turned Out Nice Again sent us over their little handmade vinyl Homage to George this week and, being a huge fan of George Formby and his ukulele, it went down a storm. With bold illustration taking over the front cover, lyrics to “when I’m cleaning windows” on the back and a hand-painted cardboard vinyl tucked inside you can’t fault Turned Out Nice Again’s attention to detail and wonderfully rustic craftsmanship.
- From woodcut type to spinning tops: Can collecting really inform your creative work?
- Jeremy Jansen’s graphic design work bridges concept and coherency
- Michael Craig-Martin: a cool, clean and colourful riot of everyday objects
- Anatoly Grashchenko's randomly generated posters for a Moscow theatre
- Japanese illustrator Nimura Daisuke is back with his charmingly naughty gifs
- Bobby Doherty’s vivid and humorous still-life photography
- Should illustrators be treated like designers?
- Why “cool” stunts creativity: one agency offers its opinion
- Fresh, vibrant poster work from South Korean designer Soojin Lee
- Grey London's thoughtful, powerful and innovative new campaign for Tate Britain
- Colourful masses with a Memphis aesthetic in Mariano Pascual’s illustrated alphabet
- Introducing French design studio plus mûrs and its beautiful poster designs