The best things in life are spherical. But before you take my word for it, let’s consider the evidence: the Earth is spherical, the sun is, all balls in sport are, many fruits are and of course (my personal favourite) Malteasers also are.
Joining me in spherical appreciation is visual artist and designer Tom Hancocks whose ongoing project Spheries focuses on a variety of spherical shapes as the central theme. These stylised sets feel so fresh and clean and while they may err too much on the artificial side for some, I love the conscious placement of all these objects into one space. The use of colour is fantastic too, with so many wonderful pastel shades it’s like My Little Pony has returned in abstract form.
It’s great how the other shapes and blocks fit around the unassuming spheres in various rigid and fluid designs. I’m looking forward to seeing how Tom progresses this series and if anyone can think of any other reasons as to why spheres are the best, then please do let me know.
- Sean and Seng travelled to Mongolia to shoot for Arena Homme+
- Joshua T Gibbons provides an insight into the relaxed bachelor lifestyle of Cockney Stan
- New York-based Blake Lewis’ neat and considered portfolio exudes simplicity
- Latvian illustrator Zane Zlemeša's delicately painted drawings
- Photographer Carlota Guerrero on collaborating with Solange and getting signed to WeFolk (some NSFW)
- Linda Brownlee’s beautiful photography book captures family life in a Sicilian village
- Wes Anderson directs H&M Christmas advert starring Adrien Brody
- The New Look: Looking back at Roundel’s 1980s identity design for British Rail’s Railfreight
- Discussing cinema with Laura Marling on her directorial debut, Soothing
- London’s first crisp restaurant, Hipchips, launches with branding by Ragged Edge
- Richard Sandler’s street photography conveys the intricacies of city life
- A "stress opus" from cartoonist Nadine Redlich