The best things in life are spherical. But before you take my word for it, let’s consider the evidence: the Earth is spherical, the sun is, all balls in sport are, many fruits are and of course (my personal favourite) Malteasers also are.
Joining me in spherical appreciation is visual artist and designer Tom Hancocks whose ongoing project Spheries focuses on a variety of spherical shapes as the central theme. These stylised sets feel so fresh and clean and while they may err too much on the artificial side for some, I love the conscious placement of all these objects into one space. The use of colour is fantastic too, with so many wonderful pastel shades it’s like My Little Pony has returned in abstract form.
It’s great how the other shapes and blocks fit around the unassuming spheres in various rigid and fluid designs. I’m looking forward to seeing how Tom progresses this series and if anyone can think of any other reasons as to why spheres are the best, then please do let me know.
- Submit Saturdays: Planning and prototyping your website
- Danny Fox: the Cornish artist inspired by LA’s Skid Row
- Bring in the Bank Holiday weekend with this week's Best of the Web
- Daniel Britt animates the trials and tribulations of an existential crisis
- Badesaison - the Swiss design studio that can handle everything from Dada to music
- Illustrator Ana Benaroya embraces the “imperfections” in her playful depictions
- Sagmeister & Walsh rebrands fashion label Milly to reflect its "edgy" new personality
- Dominic Wilcox designs art exhibition for dogs (plus exclusive artist sketches)
- Jaemin Lee’s gloriously retro exhibition identities and poster designs
- James Jean’s phantasmagorical world of technicolour fever dreams
- The Refugee Nation Olympic flag was inspired by a lifejacket
- Things: the inspiring post that got us through the long hot summer nights of August