The best things in life are spherical. But before you take my word for it, let’s consider the evidence: the Earth is spherical, the sun is, all balls in sport are, many fruits are and of course (my personal favourite) Malteasers also are.
Joining me in spherical appreciation is visual artist and designer Tom Hancocks whose ongoing project Spheries focuses on a variety of spherical shapes as the central theme. These stylised sets feel so fresh and clean and while they may err too much on the artificial side for some, I love the conscious placement of all these objects into one space. The use of colour is fantastic too, with so many wonderful pastel shades it’s like My Little Pony has returned in abstract form.
It’s great how the other shapes and blocks fit around the unassuming spheres in various rigid and fluid designs. I’m looking forward to seeing how Tom progresses this series and if anyone can think of any other reasons as to why spheres are the best, then please do let me know.
- Things glorious things! The best of the postman's offerings we received this September
- Founder of It’s Nice That Will Hudson announces the launch of new venture Lecture in Progress on Kickstarter
- Dan Emmerson shoots #bikelife in the Welsh valleys
- Dive into Adam Higton's collages via his psychedelic new album and video
- Bill Baird's ephemeral online album is completely unique for every listener
- Ewen Spencer on new commission, Kick over the statues
- “Nymphomaniac” photographer Casper Sejersen's explosive images
- Trump protest pins by Sagmeister & Walsh, Hort, Olimpia Zagnoli and more
- Google and INT Works commission 19 illustrators to create over 500 works for Allo app launch
- Kalen Hollomon's collages mix sex with fortune cookies
- Logo Pizza is selling 50 ready-made logos that increase in price with each one sold
- Anja Wicki's sarcastically sweet comic illustrations