The best things in life are spherical. But before you take my word for it, let’s consider the evidence: the Earth is spherical, the sun is, all balls in sport are, many fruits are and of course (my personal favourite) Malteasers also are.
Joining me in spherical appreciation is visual artist and designer Tom Hancocks whose ongoing project Spheries focuses on a variety of spherical shapes as the central theme. These stylised sets feel so fresh and clean and while they may err too much on the artificial side for some, I love the conscious placement of all these objects into one space. The use of colour is fantastic too, with so many wonderful pastel shades it’s like My Little Pony has returned in abstract form.
It’s great how the other shapes and blocks fit around the unassuming spheres in various rigid and fluid designs. I’m looking forward to seeing how Tom progresses this series and if anyone can think of any other reasons as to why spheres are the best, then please do let me know.
- Best of the Web is here, and so is the weekend!
- Animator Saiman Chow’s trippy idents for Adult Swim’s Rick and Morty
- Friday Mixtape: Legendary record label, 4AD
- Risograph photograph journal, This is the Same Ocean, returns with a sixth issue
- Illustrator Gizem Vural impresses us with attention-grabbing personal work and commissions
- Colophon Foundry re-releases its road-sign inspired typeface, Montefiore, with new specimen
- Jon Burgerman on his utterly brilliant Instagram experiments
- The photos Juergen Teller took while waiting for Rihanna
- Animator and director James Curran’s amusing 30-day Gifathon project in Tokyo
- "Before I was a graphic designer I had nearly no idea what one was": meet Austin Redman
- Meet Berlin-based studio Büro Bum Bum
- Matthew Raw: the east London artist making clay great again