The best things in life are spherical. But before you take my word for it, let’s consider the evidence: the Earth is spherical, the sun is, all balls in sport are, many fruits are and of course (my personal favourite) Malteasers also are.
Joining me in spherical appreciation is visual artist and designer Tom Hancocks whose ongoing project Spheries focuses on a variety of spherical shapes as the central theme. These stylised sets feel so fresh and clean and while they may err too much on the artificial side for some, I love the conscious placement of all these objects into one space. The use of colour is fantastic too, with so many wonderful pastel shades it’s like My Little Pony has returned in abstract form.
It’s great how the other shapes and blocks fit around the unassuming spheres in various rigid and fluid designs. I’m looking forward to seeing how Tom progresses this series and if anyone can think of any other reasons as to why spheres are the best, then please do let me know.
- Hilarious send-up of selfie culture from Mercedes-Benz, Justin O'Shea and Jayne Min
- Mattis Dovier tracks the painful metamorphosis of man into machine in his new short
- Class A Marketing analyses the advertising techniques of drug dealers
- Yuri Suzuki's new invention lets users turn any object into a functioning musical instrument
- Snøhetta develops a “tribal language” for Høyskolen Kristiania School
- Work, build and don’t whine: historic portrayals of women in art and design
- Anna Ginsburg explores sex and female orgasms in this hilarious animation (NSFW)
- Arne Svenson’s portraits of his New York neighbours taken through apartment windows
- The Co-op returns to its old “clover leaf” logo from the 1960s
- Don't Hug Me I'm Scared - an exclusive interview with Duck, Red Guy and Yellow Guy
- Ace new Laura Callaghan work calls BS on the idea that we can be "whatever we want to be"
- The new Sagmeister & Walsh website has a live feed from a snake enclosure and a new naked photo (NSFW)